This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theme on Stock Dialer

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
As a preface, I want to use the stock dialer as I sometimes need call recording.
When I use a third party app (Tasker) to automatically swap dark and light themes at daybreak and sunset, the dialer app and contacts within the dialer app don't change themes properly (see pics). I have to manually toggle the dark and light theme via the notification shade, then it looks correct. It's not a huge deal. Since I just turn it light in the AM and dark in the PM it is easy enough for me to do it manually and turn off the auto switching, but it does seem to be a "bug".
@LP_ASUS
OGADAZD2NP4C.jpg
MT9UC8LYCC6G.jpg
WFFUYAO9GCUG.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

_jis_
Zen Master III
The latest firmware WW_17.1810.2003.144 has fixed a number of bugs that have bothered us for a long time, see other today's threads. ZF6 matures like wine, kudos to ASUS!
Thank you so much 🙂

_jis_
Zen Master III
Have made them aware that third party apps toggling theme does not work properly in a few stock apps still (gallery, file manager, calculator, clock).
The last time I was excited about fixes in other threads.
I would like to add a note to this issue now:
To be honest, I thought the fix for this issue would mean that all proprietary Asus applications would respond correctly to a change in theme. That Asus will fix some framework common to their applications.
But obviously this is not the case, and Asus must repair all affected applications. This is sad because we will have to wait a long time to fix all remaining applications.
I wish I was wrong.

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
_jis_

Have made them aware that third party apps toggling theme does not work properly in a few stock apps still (gallery, file manager, calculator, clock).

The last time I was excited about fixes in other threads.

I would like to add a note to this issue now:

To be honest, I thought the fix for this issue would mean that all proprietary Asus applications would respond correctly to a change in theme. That Asus will fix some framework common to their applications.

But obviously this is not the case, and Asus must repair all affected applications. This is sad because we will have to wait a long time to fix all remaining applications.

I wish I was wrong.

View post
They said no. Here is what I was told.
"Only system app can change system-wise dark mode and there is no public API to do this. Third party app (Tasker) was using an incompatible way to change dark mode and therefore it cannot be expected fully working for all apps as it already stated. The app also requires user to enable adb to execute shell command to give the app more permissions which might have security concern. Overall this behavior is not a normal case. Many in-house apps are deeply connected with specific ASUS feature and may have conflict with incompatible usage. Currently we have no plan to deal with those incompatible usages yet."

_jis_
Zen Master III
Thank you for mediating the official answer.
Third party app (Tasker) was using an incompatible way to change dark mode and therefore it cannot be expected fully working for all apps as it already stated.
It is interesting that in all third party apps that I have installed, Tasker theme switching works without problems, only in Asus built-in proprietary apps not. Specially Google apps have absolutely no problem and theme switching by Tasker works perfectly regardless of whether they are preinstalled as system or added by the user.
Currently we have no plan to deal with those incompatible usages yet.
And yet it has been fixed in the first Asus app. So did it happen by chance perhaps?

What is the lesson for the user from that? Avoid proprietary applications where it is possible and use only proven major applications that work without these problems. Sure, a proprietary application may be interesting from some point of view, it may have various minor improvements that are missing from the standard Android application, but what good is it if the basic things do not work as expected.

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
VS-KR

Adding a switch function made by Asus for its ZenUI is also an easier solution ...

View post
The nice part about using Tasker (as an example) is that it offers much more functionality. As opposed to a manual switch (which we already have), Tasker allows you to switch dark mode on and off in numerous types of situations: based on ambient lighting, time of day, shifting sunrise/sunset times, etc. I haven't looked into it much or recently at all, but I think android 11 will improve this. Hope I'm right about that. But currently, at least for my testing, the only apps that Tasker currently can't control dark mode with are the stock apps for calculator, clock, gallery and file manager. The other stock apps seem to work. And I haven't noticed any other app that it doesn't work with (though they probably exist).