nova3482
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: 6z (ZS630KL)
Firmware Version: 17.1810.2011.183
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Very Frequent
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

screenshot-20201225-062734568.jpg
screenshot-20201224-224343751.jpg
After the most recent update my phone has been plagued with a multitude of battery issues and spontaneous reboots. To begin with, the phone randomly reboots after entering a few apps (Snapchat, Chrome, and even the Settings app). After rebooting the battery has been taking a massive hit. For example, I charged it to 100% used it till 70% and after the spontaneous reboot, the battery was back down to 18% (see screenshots). While I thought this was a battery calibration issue at first, I tried calibrating the battery and also ran the phone in safe mode but to no avail because as soon as I opened the Settings application while in Safe Mode, another spontaneous reboot struck and I was rebooted back into the normal mode. Many a times these spontaneous reboots also get stuck in a boot loop and my phone does not power on until I have connected it to my charger. Let me know how to proceed because my phone is virtually unusable.
Edit: Should I also try downgrading to the previous system update version .179 / Or performing a factory reset? Can I do so without unlocking the bootloader?
2 REPLIES 2

victor010
Zen Master III
Hi, we suggest you to please visit the nearest ASUS service center for better assistance. Locate hereAC: https://www.asus.com/in/support/Service-Center/India

Scooo
Rising Star I
I'm currently using a ZenFone 6 - ZS630KL and I had some issues with Chrome some time between this September and October. My device used to crash every time I opened chrome, but not every time. Sometimes, it would work well and I'd leave it in the background, but with Chrome in the background, if I tried to use any other app, the device would suddenly reboot. It took me a while to find out that the real cause was Chrome. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you are: random, frequent reboots and significant falls in battery levels after every crash or reboot.
You can try uninstalling or disabling Chrome as well, I replaced it with Microsoft Edge and it is better and my life has improved since. This might not be the same for you, I have had various experiences like the one you are having:
1) One of my Xiaomi phones had a loose connector between the motherboard and the power/ charging circuit at the bottom. It caused frequent reboots and the battery was draining at least 8times as fast. All it took me was to pull the cover off and the connector was right there, pushed it in well.
2) On my Moto G something, the battery connector was loose and it exhibited the same symptoms of frequent reboots and speedy battery discharge. However the reboots weren't really reboots, I used to have to turn it back on.
Your issue most likely seems hardware, however, it is worth giving a factory reset a try. I'm on the same firmware version but am not facing any issues like you are except some volume issues. So the update definitely is buggy, however forced frequent reboots are more serious.
Sometimes dropping the phone could also make some connectors loosen or if you by chance happen to work or live where there is increased humidity, there are good chances that there's just some moisture caught between the battery or the motherboard connectors and would be a very easy fix.