This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone killing background services, accessibility services and ongoing notifications

hr_zooz
Star I
I've had my ZenFone 6 for a few months now and it's quite nice, but I've had persistent issues with things being killed in the background. In particular:
I use an app that relies on an accessibility service to detect whether another app is foregrounded. After a while, this app stops working. Android still indicates that the accessibility service is on, but the app says the accessibility service is off. I have to restart the accessibility service to enable the app that relies on it to work again, until it dies again.
Apps that should be always on, like my Simple Scrobbler, stop working after a while, presumably due to their background service being killed. My last phone didn't do this for apps with background services, and I doubt it's a memory issue.
Some ongoing notifications simply do not appear, like the one of Strava. Unlike on other phones, Strava does not place an ongoing notification in my Zenfone status bar when I activate the recording mode. However, not all ongoing notifications are affected by this - the Phonograph music player's ongoing notification does work.
I read on this forum that it might be an issue with the auto-start manager, which I didn't know about before (it's very well hidden in the menus) but enabling auto-start for the problem apps (and restarting the phone) doesn't seem to fix the notification issue at least. As for the other two issues, I guess I'll have to wait a while to see if these things get killed again.
Any other ideas on what might be causing these issues?
9 REPLIES 9

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
I wish I could say what is wrong. So your issues are with Strava and Simple Scrobbler? A lot of users doesn't seem to be happy with Simple Scrobbler when reading the reviews at play store. May it's the app that can't maintain accessibility?

_jis_
Zen Master III
hr.zooz:
I cannot confirm your observation with 372 apps I have installed on my ZF6, but I don't use apps you mentioned.

hr_zooz
Star I
Anders_ASUS

I wish I could say what is wrong. So your issues are with Strava and Simple Scrobbler? A lot of users doesn't seem to be happy with Simple Scrobbler when reading the reviews at play store. May it's the app that can't maintain accessibility?

View post
It's possible, but that might have been due to another issue: a month ago it didn't work at all for a while, but an update fixed that. And scrobbling always seemed problematic - on my previous phones (and this one as well, I think) I had issue with the official last.fm app, which is why I'm using this alternative one in the first place.
Well, the scrobbler and the accessibility service have survived for two days now without being killed, so perhaps enabling auto-start fixed those things. But I still have the Strava issue and can't find anything about anything similar on their forums.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
I guess I would have to go out on a run to duplicate your issue and that's not gonna happen 🙂