This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killing apps overnight

Kamil
Rising Star I
So I have another thread open but it is kinda messy and its mainly about not so great and bugged multitasking and ram usage.
Kamil

Hey, I am on the last android 10 update but my phone 8/256 GB version behave more like 6 GB i mean ram usage is around 5,5 GB top (70%show in system developer options) and then the phone starts killing apps. Is this normal? I have usage of ram over 90 % on my older phone.?

Ofc I turn off all power management and optiflex for test that out but get same results.

Another issue Switching between apps is smooth and quick but after turn screen off for some time switching between apps gets laggy almost as apps get loaded from swap memory not ram oO.

I don't know how it was on android 9 because i update the system and do the format right out the box.

8gb ram multitasking
But here i wanna ask you guys if you have any problems with apps are getting killed overnight. Usually, when i wake up I have 3-4 apps open in recents from over 20+ when I am going to sleep. It is strange because even if I lost all these apps from memory i don't get much ram free after, still looks like apps are there in ram usage but all of them are reopening when I try them. Problem stays the same no matter what i trunf off or on.
Now i have like adaptive battery off, force autostart stop off, killing apps after scren off - OFF, i turn on autostart on all apps and literally any option to save battery I just turn off or on and test it.
I test all of it on android 10 lats update and last android 9.

Does anyone have similar problems to me? Maybe I am miss something? ?
10 REPLIES 10

_jis_
Zen Master III
@Kamil I must confirm that you are not alone. I did it exactly as you described in one of your posts. Before going to bed I opened 24 applications, then I went through them all once again that they are really all loaded in memory (I have 6 GB of memory). When I woke up in the morning and pressed the multitask button, I was surprised to find that out of the 24 applications, there were exactly 3 left, as you have repeatedly claimed.
I stared at it open-mouthed. In fact, I've never done this check because the phone is fast enough that I just didn't recognize in the morning ((still sleepy) that applications were loading from Flash Memory instead of RAM.
This check is really simple, anyone can do it, but apparently not many users and moderators have done it yet.
Next time I would like to try to find out which applications actually stayed, whether the last used ones or completely random ones, and what processes took place at night that might be blame.

Kamil
Rising Star I
_jis_

@Kamil I must confirm that you are not alone. I did it exactly as you described in one of your posts. Before going to bed I opened 24 applications, then I went through them all once again that they are really all loaded in memory (I have 6 GB of memory). When I woke up in the morning and pressed the multitask button, I was surprised to find that out of the 24 applications, there were exactly 3 left, as you have repeatedly claimed.

I stared at it open-mouthed. In fact, I've never done this check because the phone is fast enough that I just didn't recognize in the morning ((still sleepy) that applications were loading from Flash Memory instead of RAM.

This check is really simple, anyone can do it, but apparently not many users and moderators have done it yet.

Next time I would like to try to find out which applications actually stayed, whether the last used ones or completely random ones, and what processes took place at night that might be blame.

View post
I don't know if it is possible to convince them to accept that there is ram management and killing app issue... by now I am just simply tired of trying.  ?

cobben
Rising Star I
I think that just because an app is not shown in Recents does not mean that it has been killed or removed from memory.
If you check in Settings/Storage & Memory/Memory
And there touch "Memory used by apps" at the bottom you see all apps running in a time period.
For example, I see that Telegram has been running 100% of the time during the last 3 hours, but I have never used it and it is not in Recents.

Kamil
Rising Star I
cobben

I think that just because an app is not shown in Recents does not mean that it has been killed or removed from memory.

If you check in Settings/Storage & Memory/Memory

And there touch "Memory used by apps" at the bottom you see all apps running in a time period.

For example, I see that Telegram has been running 100% of the time during the last 3 hours, but I have never used it and it is not in Recents.

View post
App gets some processes to run in background telegram is massage app something just need to run in the background if you wanna get a notification but app itself gonna reload from scratch like any other app missing from recents.
So this is not the case.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
_jis_

View post
It's the last used apps that stays and this is NOT a bug. It's Android 10 behaviour. We're not going to do anything about it as this behaviour comes from Google and all phones that I know of, shares this behaviour when the phone has been idle for a couple of hours.
I haven't experimented to see if there's a way to make sure a specific app isn't being killed by the system. Maybe it could work if you go into system settings -> battery -> battery optimization and turn it off for the app you want to keep alive?
To me this case is closed so I won't monitor this thread for a while but I will keep the thread open so anyone can share with everyone else if you manage to find a way to keep a specific app alive without it being one of the last 3-4 apps being used before going to bed.