Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook UM433DA will not wake from sleep and overheats when closed

thomasgospod
Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Battery
Description: When opening the laptop will stay in sleep mode and can only be reset with a 10 second power button hard reset
Model: UM 433DA -A5016T 14" FHD Ryzen 5 3500U
Frequency of Occurrence: Sometimes
Reset OS: No

Hey there So i have just received this zenbook UM433DA- A5016T 14" FHD Ryzen 5 3500U and ive run into a pretty frequent occurance of the laptop staying in sleep mode when i open it. The only way i can get it to work is if a hold the power button down and then reset it. Also when this happens the laptop gets extremely hot when closed even though nothing is or should be running. Ive had the laptop for 3 days only and this is already a concern. Also had wifi connectivity issues but that seems to have been resolved somehow. Any help would be great thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello royschreiber,
I have always been paying attention to this issue, however, not much progress.
I will keep collecting the information,
and if there is anything new, I will keep you updated.
Thank you.

tomi
Star II
I have Manjaro Linux on my UM433DA and same thing here. Actually I think that my laptop stays on when sleep is requested. The screen goes off but I can still see leds on with fn- and power-buttons. When I try to wake the laptop, nothing happens. Sometimes screen flickers, sometimes I can see mouse pointer but thats it, nothing else happens and only way out is to shutdown completely. No change in behaviour even if I change to different kernel versions. Everything else works great.

royschreiber
Star II
Interesting. The result is not exactly the same since on windows the screen stays black (leds are on, power led usually flickers). However, the fact that the issue is so similar means that this has to be a BIOS issue. I mean not waking up from sleep can't possibly be an operating system-independent hardware problem as far as I can tell and people have reported replacing motherboards in the past to no avail).
Blake_ASUS, please note this. I think this is a big clue to zoning in on the problem.

tomi
Star II
I made some further investigations with Linux and it looks like the current BIOS is blocking S3 sleep mode and therefore Linux kernel forces suspend mode to "s2idle" which is a bad choice anyway and on this laptop it freezes whole system.
I think also that this has to be a BIOS problem and even more if Windows OS is facing similar issues.

Baronner
Star I
Same issue here from day 1. Frequent occurance of the laptop staying in sleep mode when I open it. The only way i can get it to work is if a hold the power button down and then reset it. Also when this happens the laptop gets extremely hot when closed even though nothing is or should be running.). UM433DA- A5016T 14" FHD Ryzen 5 3500U W10. Latest drivers, no virusses, trojans, etc.
I called ASUS Netherlands in january, but no solution other than sent the laptop to Asus. Can't miss the laptop for a couple of weeks, so I hoped the latest BIOS-update would fix this issue, but sadly it doesn't.