cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenBook 14 UM425Q - SSD upgrade

udouble705
Star I

Hi

I've got a ZenBook 14 UM425Q with Ryzen 9 inside. I want to upgrade its SSD.

Does it support 4th gen NVMe?

Thx in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@udouble705 

Does your model support Gen 4? I don't think so. 
Because PCLe Gen 3 or Gen 4 is a matter of mainboard.  In my opinion, if its mainboard supports Gen 4, the technical specification must indicate that the model supports Gen 4, not Gen 3. 
If the question is like this: a PCLe Gen 3 can support a SSD Gen 4? The answer is Yes. But the speed of your SSD Gen 4 will reduce because the bus (like a road) can support a limited speed. For examle, your PCLe Gen 3 supports the transmission of your data at 4GBs. Your new SSD Gen 4 can send the data at 8GBs. So your Gen3 bus can allow the transmission at 4GBs. If you have a plan to buy a new laptop, buying a new SSD gen 4 or even Gen 5 is worth because your can reuse your new SSD. But if you have not such a plan like that, it is cheaper to buy a new SSD Gen 3 which fits to your PCLe bus Gen 3. 

View solution in original post

@udouble705
Your laptop supports an SSD with the NGFF 2280 PCIe: 1TB (P3X4) specification.
Thank you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

FongPoui
Rising Star II

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/zenbook/zenbook-14-um425-qa/techspec/ 

Storage
512GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
1TB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD 
The information is extracted from the above web site.
I cannot find any more the technical information of this model in Thailand (Asus web site). 
If you buy a SSD which works with PCLe Gen 4 bus for your PCLe Gen 3 bus, as I know, its performace is lmited to PCLe Gen 3. But if you buy a new laptop with PCLe Gen 4 you can get its full performance. 
The PCLe Gen 5 came out...

That's the point: does my model support Gen 4?

@udouble705 

Does your model support Gen 4? I don't think so. 
Because PCLe Gen 3 or Gen 4 is a matter of mainboard.  In my opinion, if its mainboard supports Gen 4, the technical specification must indicate that the model supports Gen 4, not Gen 3. 
If the question is like this: a PCLe Gen 3 can support a SSD Gen 4? The answer is Yes. But the speed of your SSD Gen 4 will reduce because the bus (like a road) can support a limited speed. For examle, your PCLe Gen 3 supports the transmission of your data at 4GBs. Your new SSD Gen 4 can send the data at 8GBs. So your Gen3 bus can allow the transmission at 4GBs. If you have a plan to buy a new laptop, buying a new SSD gen 4 or even Gen 5 is worth because your can reuse your new SSD. But if you have not such a plan like that, it is cheaper to buy a new SSD Gen 3 which fits to your PCLe bus Gen 3. 

@udouble705
Your laptop supports an SSD with the NGFF 2280 PCIe: 1TB (P3X4) specification.
Thank you.