Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX8402ZE Thunderbolt Ports?

Roccobot
Star I

System: Windows 11
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zenbook Pro Duo 14 (UX8402ZE.307)
Bios: 307
GOP Version: 21.0.1046
EC Version: F00A2240A.310
Frequency of occurrence: Always

-----------

Windows is not detecting any Thunderbolt 3 or 4 devices as Thunderbolt. I have tried several adapters and a powered Thunderbolt dock without any luck. The cables are the proper speed/type and most of these devices I was attempting to use are actually display port adapters (attempting to use GPU for display port NOT HDMI). The ports function as USB-C ports but clearly have limitations in this mode. I have made sure everything is up to date according to Asus and Intel (though I feel like there are other chipset drivers that are probably better that I don't know about). This is from a factory windows image only a few months old.

#1 Are both USB-C ports Thunderbolt? (follow up is the Nvidia GPU linked to them or is it just Intel)

#2 How does one get Windows to recognize the Thunderbolt devices (yes I am using the Intel Thunderbolt control center and device manager)

12 REPLIES 12

@Roccobot
If the problem persists even after reinstalling the drivers, it may be due to a system error. 
We recommend that you back up your data and restore the system.
[Windows 11/10] How to reset the PC
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Roccobot
Star I

Seems like a simplified answer for a complex problem without clear answers on thunderbolt or chipset drivers to use upon reinstall. 

Also still curious the intel vs nvidia GPU lane routing… It would be really confusing that the specs state it could do Thunderbolt and DisplayPort out but not really, so hoping for that reply from support. 

@Roccobot
Due to the current inability of your laptop to properly connect devices via Thunderbolt, regarding the issue of Thunderbolt not functioning, we suggest that you uninstall all USB-related devices, restart your laptop to allow the system to automatically detect, and download and install the drivers from our website. For detailed steps, please refer to the following link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042417/

If you find the steps too complicated, we recommend resetting the system through the system restore method. Alternatively, you may consider taking your laptop to the service center for assistance from the service personnel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

FongPoui
Rising Star II

Hello!

From my experiences, as using the same model, I bought a CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub last year. It works well and I have no problem. No need to install any drivers. 

Hey thanks. Does it show in your thunderbolt dashboard? Or what do the drivers in show in device manager? 

Also what graphics card is running your monitors out of the dock? It seems insane and against some of the advertising if the Nvidia card can only drive the internal screen and the HDMI port.