This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan speed stuck on Max

jaimefuhr
Star II
New ASUS ZenBook Duo., The fan operates at Max speed on start-up. Changing the modes, Performance, Balanced, Whisper - does not lower the speed.
I ran the Fan check in MyAsus->System Diagnosis. The fan speed adjusts while it is running its test, but then goes right back to Max.
image.png
Live Update says I have all the latest drivers.

image.png
image.png

1 REPLY 1

MotoWiZ
Rising Star II
Hi @jaimefuhr,
Your post is a little confusing. Let me ask you some questions:
1 - The laptop fan runs on MaxSpeed only at startup, or is always running on MaxSpeed? My UX482 Duo fan runs in HighSpeed when I turn it on and sometimes during startup also, but then it's quiet.
2 - The fan runs on MaxSpeed even if the laptop is turned on, but not being used?
3 - Have you checked the CPU core temperatures while you're using the laptop, and also while the laptop is idle (turned on but not being used). You can use CoreTemp for that, download here
Core TempIf temperatures are high in idle, and no significant processes are running it might be an indicative of debris blocking air vents.
4 - Have you checked the CPU core usage while using the laptop, and in idle. You can do it this way:
#1. Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager from the context menu.
#2. Go to the Performance tab and select CPU.
#3. Right-click on the graph in the right pane and select Change graph to>Logical processors.
#5. You will see a graph for each core and its usage.
5 - Check also if there's a process that is consuming more than expected. Do it like this:
#1: Press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” and then choose “Task Manager”. Alternatively you can press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” to directly open task manager.
#2: To see a list of processes that are running on your computer, click “processes”. Scroll down to view the list of hidden and visible programs.
#3: Press the top of the columns to order by usage.
If all seems to be ok and there's nothing suspicious and consuming lot's of CPU power, then, my advice to you is you should send your laptop to a repair center.