This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zenbook (13") Windows 10 reinstall failed.

PaulS
Star I

I have an ASUS Zenbook (13") from 2017 that came with Windows 10. The hardware was not capable of being upgraded to Windows 11 so I bought a new notebook and planned to wipe this one clean by deleting everything and reinstalling Windows so I could pass it on to someone else or turn it into a recycler. I followed the instructions for doing that, but it seems the Windows 10 reinstall failed. It just keeps trying to start up, showing the ASUS logo, but never completing the boot up process. What can I do to get the Windows 10 reinstall to complete??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LexterJ
Star II

It seems like a normal windows installation crash, but can you check if your hard-drive(ssd) is alright by booting into BIOS:
While the computer isn’t powered on yet, press and hold the [F2] button of the keyboard, and then press the [Power button](Do not release F2 button until the BIOS configuration display.)
In the storage section you should see at least one occupied slot. If you do not see any probably the hard-drive is dead.
If you see one you should fresh install the Windows via USB-stick:
Step 1: Follow instructions from this  video to create a bootable usb-stick.
Step 2: Plug in your usb-stick to the pc and boot up to the BIOS again. In the Boot Priority options you should see your usb-stick, just select it and press ENTER.  The installation process should start up, and the rest is to keep up with instructions. 
Installation tips:
While asked for the Activation key you can skip by clicking on "I don't have an activation key".
In the Operating system version screen choose the version that you had on the pc before, cause it will be activated automaticaly using your previous key.
In the Installation type menu select Install Windows only.
In the next screen you would see your hard drive partitions, select each one by one and choose delete option. When everything is in one piece now select it and press create. Several partitions will be created, you should choose the one of primary tag written near it and proceed.
After the installation is over the rest is to customize pc and connect it to the internet to get updates. 
Update everything from windows update section cause it will handle the missing drivers as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

LexterJ
Star II

Hey PaulS,

Can you give more details about the failure? 

It just keeps trying to start up, showing the ASUS logo, then a spinning white circle, then a black screen, then the ASUS logo, and on and on, but never completing the boot up process. 

@PaulS
Based on your description, it is possible that there is a malfunction with your storage device (HDD or SSD). We apologize for any inconvenience caused. 

LexterJ
Star II

It seems like a normal windows installation crash, but can you check if your hard-drive(ssd) is alright by booting into BIOS:
While the computer isn’t powered on yet, press and hold the [F2] button of the keyboard, and then press the [Power button](Do not release F2 button until the BIOS configuration display.)
In the storage section you should see at least one occupied slot. If you do not see any probably the hard-drive is dead.
If you see one you should fresh install the Windows via USB-stick:
Step 1: Follow instructions from this  video to create a bootable usb-stick.
Step 2: Plug in your usb-stick to the pc and boot up to the BIOS again. In the Boot Priority options you should see your usb-stick, just select it and press ENTER.  The installation process should start up, and the rest is to keep up with instructions. 
Installation tips:
While asked for the Activation key you can skip by clicking on "I don't have an activation key".
In the Operating system version screen choose the version that you had on the pc before, cause it will be activated automaticaly using your previous key.
In the Installation type menu select Install Windows only.
In the next screen you would see your hard drive partitions, select each one by one and choose delete option. When everything is in one piece now select it and press create. Several partitions will be created, you should choose the one of primary tag written near it and proceed.
After the installation is over the rest is to customize pc and connect it to the internet to get updates. 
Update everything from windows update section cause it will handle the missing drivers as well.