This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivobook F510QA: A few drops of water spilled on keyboard, total/immediate power off.

mbradee
Star I

Detailed description:
Vivobook F510QA:
A small dribble of water spilled on keyboard, total/immediate self power cut-off a few seconds later (it was my son in the next room...)
Have opened laptop, disconnected internal battery, memory module and SSD. Inspected motherboard, power circuitry, all high power USB jacks, etc. All looked very clean. flipped over and let dry over a warm air heater vent for a couple days. Pressed the power button for a good minute a couple times. Put laptop back together. No power-up with just battery only connected, nothing with battery and power cord (no power-up, no lights, nada...), nothing with just power cord and no battery (Power adapter/cord is fine, have tried others). Crap! That tiny bit of water on keyboard killed the entire power system!? I've taken apart liquid damaged machines with burnt USB, headphone jack, etc. connectors on motherboard a number of times. After removing burnt connectors causing shorts, etc., amazingly, a high percentage of said machines fired right up. Can hardly believe this ASUS could have been destroyed so easily...
Any tips or suggestions as to voltages to check, etc. would be much appreciated. Dates of manufacture of inside the case are from 5/2019 and the end user has only been using since the school started Zooming all over the place. Very disappointed if I can't get it up and running again. It's finally all loaded with software and even runs a modded GTA V incredibly well for what it's worth.
Thanks, -Steve
Vivobook F510QA
4 REPLIES 4

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
mbradee

Detailed description:

Vivobook F510QA:

A small dribble of water spilled on keyboard, total/immediate self power cut-off a few seconds later (it was my son in the next room...)

Have opened laptop, disconnected internal battery, memory module and SSD. Inspected motherboard, power circuitry, all high power USB jacks, etc. All looked very clean. flipped over and let dry over a warm air heater vent for a couple days. Pressed the power button for a good minute a couple times. Put laptop back together. No power-up with just battery only connected, nothing with battery and power cord (no power-up, no lights, nada...), nothing with just power cord and no battery (Power adapter/cord is fine, have tried others). Crap! That tiny bit of water on keyboard killed the entire power system!? I've taken apart liquid damaged machines with burnt USB, headphone jack, etc. connectors on motherboard a number of times. After removing burnt connectors causing shorts, etc., amazingly, a high percentage of said machines fired right up. Can hardly believe this ASUS could have been destroyed so easily...

Any tips or suggestions as to voltages to check, etc. would be much appreciated. Dates of manufacture of inside the case are from 5/2019 and the end user has only been using since the school started Zooming all over the place. Very disappointed if I can't get it up and running again. It's finally all loaded with software and even runs a modded GTA V incredibly well for what it's worth.

Thanks, -Steve

Vivobook F510QA

Vivobook F510QA: A few drops of water spilled on keyboard, total/immediate power off.
you have cleaned top of keyboard.
but little drops of water went inside the button and spread to the attached circuit board on the keyboard, so the water still there on the board. so that's why the laptop does not powered on..so we need to dry the circuit board on keyboard also.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello mbraee,
Please kindly send the device to our service center for further examination.
Thank you.

mbradee
Star I
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/45542/vivobook-f510qa-a-few-drops-of-water-spilled-on-keyboar...

you have cleaned top of keyboard.

but little drops of water went inside the button and spread to the attached circuit board on the keyboard, so the water still there on the board. so that's why the laptop does not powered on..so we need to dry the circuit board on keyboard also.

View post
Thanks for input Raju. I opened the case and flipped laptop upside-down over a warm air heater vent for two days prior to trying to turn it back on. I hope some water is causing the machine to not power-up. I will let it dry a little longer before removing everything to get to the keyboard (looks like just about everything needs to be removed to access keyboard on the F510QA?).
-Steve

mbradee
Star I
Blake_ASUS

Hello mbraee,

Please kindly send the device to our service center for further examination.

Thank you.

View post
Well Blake, already talked to your people. It's going to cost more than the machine is worth. Sad thing is, this machine spent more than 8 weeks back and forth to your service center(s) while under warranty and never successfully fixed (issues with machine suddenly losing power while in Zoom meetings, etc.