This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP412 touchscreen compatibility

Geemann57
Star II

I bought 2 used Vivobook Flips in the TP412 family with broken screens. Although the glass is broken on both, they do still display a picture and the touch function still works up to a point.  I then sourced 2 used but unbroken screens from the same family, thinking it would be a straight swap or at worst just need to change some settings. However, while both screens work fine as simple displays, the touch function is not working on either. Can I hope to get the full functionality, and if so, how? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Geemann57
Star II

Thanks, @Falcon_ASUS , appreciate your input. Inspired by a Youtube video by Adamant IT I took a closer look at the hardware. Amazingly it looks like both screens (from different sources) had been repaired before, but not reassembled properly.  On one, the channel 2 touch ribbon was not properly attached, and on the other neither ribbon was attached at all! Bit of a hassle but I got them both working in the end.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jason3
Star II

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing issues with the touchscreen functionality after replacing the screens on your Vivobook Flips TP412. Here are a few steps and considerations that might help you troubleshoot and potentially restore the touchscreen functionality:

1. Driver Issues: Ensure that the touchscreen drivers are correctly installed. Sometimes, a change in hardware might require updated drivers. You can check the device manager on your laptop to see if there are any issues with the touchscreen drivers. If necessary, you can try updating or reinstalling the drivers.

2. Windows Calibration: Windows has a touchscreen calibration tool that you can use to calibrate the touchscreen for better accuracy. Navigate to "Settings" > "Devices" > "Touchpad" > "Calibrate" in Windows settings and follow the on-screen instructions.

3. BIOS/UEFI Settings: Check the BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure that the touchscreen is recognized correctly. There might be settings related to touchscreen functionality that need to be configured properly. Make sure your BIOS/UEFI firmware is up-to-date, as newer versions often include bug fixes and improvements.

4. Connection Issues: Double-check the connection between the touchscreen and the motherboard. Ensure that the cables are securely connected. If there's any damage to the cables during the screen replacement, it might be affecting the touchscreen functionality.

5. Compatibility Check: Verify that the replacement screens are compatible with your specific model (TP412) and that they match the original screens in terms of specifications. Even within the same family, there could be variations in screen technology, connectors, or touch digitizer technology.

6. Reinstallation of the Original Screens: If you still have the original broken screens, you might want to try reinstalling them to see if the touchscreen functionality is restored. This can help determine if the issue is related to the new screens or if there's an underlying problem with the laptop itself.

7. Contact ASUS Support: If all else fails, it's advisable to reach out to ASUS support. They may be able to provide specific guidance based on the model and offer assistance in resolving the touchscreen issue. If your laptop is still under warranty, they might also be able to provide further support or suggest an authorized service center.

Always exercise caution when working with hardware components, and if you're not comfortable performing these troubleshooting steps yourself, consider seeking assistance from a professional technician.

Geemann57
Star II

Hi Jason3, thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response. I've already done pretty much everything you suggested (although wasn't aware of the Windows Calibration tool, but it hasn't helped). I think that item 5, Compatibility Check, is going to be the key, but I haven't found any way to do that. The impression I've got from looking at replacement parts ads is that they seem pretty indiscriminate as to the specific model in the TP412 family, hence my belief it would be a straight swap. If anyone has any pointers on that it will be appreciated, although I only know the exact heritage of one of the unbroken screens.

Falcon_ASUS

@Geemann57
Unfortunately, from our perspective, we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of components purchased independently.
We only recommend bringing the laptop back to the service center for further verification. 
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location
Also you can contact the local service center for help.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Geemann57
Star II

Thanks, @Falcon_ASUS , appreciate your input. Inspired by a Youtube video by Adamant IT I took a closer look at the hardware. Amazingly it looks like both screens (from different sources) had been repaired before, but not reassembled properly.  On one, the channel 2 touch ribbon was not properly attached, and on the other neither ribbon was attached at all! Bit of a hassle but I got them both working in the end.