cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of resetting BIOS to "Optimized Defaults" on dual-boot

Tassable
Star I

Hello,

I am presently dual booting an Ubuntu flavor and Windows 10 Pro on an ASUS X556UQ laptop that was given to me. It is 5-6 years old. After installing an Ubuntu flavor on it and now dual booting, I have noticed two things that are not working: 1) the touchpad disable/enable key does not work (f9 key) and 2) one of the USB ports, the USB 2.0 port on the right side of the laptop does not work.

I would like to see if resetting the BIOS to "Optimized Defaults" would improve either problem. But I am afraid I might cause a problem with my present dual-booting that would not be easy to remedy.

QUESTIONS: Would resetting the BIOS to the "Optimized Defaults" cause a significant problem with dual-booting?

Does anybody have any other comments about this question or situation?

Thanks,

Mr. T.

5 REPLIES 5

Falcon_ASUS

@Tassable
Sorry for late reply due to national holiday.
Since we haven't tested the Linux system, we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility.
Additionally, as you are using a dual-boot setup, resetting the BIOS settings to default may cause the system to not boot properly.
Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you Falcon_ASUS,

If anybody else has any comments, advice or observations, I would be interested in hearing them.

Thank you,

T.

Tassable
Star I

I tried resetting the BIOS to "Optimized Defaults" and it did not cause any problem, but it did not solve either of the two problems .

Thanks,

T.