cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS VivoBook X405U storgae upgrade

phenyo97
Star II
Hello,

I want to upgrade my old VivoBook X405U. I found 2 discussions about storage for this notebook, but I still have some questions.
In the first discussion I've seen that, people are telling, that this notebook is only compatible with M.2 SATA SSDs, and the other discussion does not have a connector type stated for the SSD.
I also checked ASUS page about the upgrade, and they stated, that the NB has a M.2 SATA slot, for upgrade.

My question is, if the upgradeable SSD, needs to be M.2 SATA, why does the motherboard has this kind of slot (NVMe slot) for SSD?
whatsapp-image-2021-01-08-at-5-13-51-pm-281-29.jpeg
Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Falcon_ASUS
phenyo97

Hello,

I want to upgrade my old VivoBook X405U. I found 2 discussions about storage for this notebook, but I still have some questions.

In the first discussion I've seen that, people are telling, that this notebook is only compatible with M.2 SATA SSDs, and the other discussion does not have a connector type stated for the SSD.

I also checked ASUS page about the upgrade, and they stated, that the NB has a M.2 SATA slot, for upgrade.

My question is, if the upgradeable SSD, needs to be M.2 SATA, why does the motherboard has this kind of slot (NVMe slot) for SSD?

Thank you.

@phenyo97
Could you please provide the complete model name of the laptop? So that I can confirm the specifications. Thank you.
[Notebook] How to check the model name and BIOS version | Official Support | ASUS Global

phenyo97
Star II
Hi @Falcon_ASUS
Is this going to be enough:
ASUS VivoBook 14 X405UA-EB760T Matt Golden
Thanks.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
phenyo97

Hello,

Thank you.

That slot belongs to M.2 NVMe SSD , i conformed after seeing photo.

phenyo97
Star II
Hi @RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS
I totally agree with you, because the slot looks like, it is for NVMe SSD, but I've read a few topics about that, that this notebook, requires M.2 SATA SSD, and when I searched the upgrade options on the original ASUS website, it stated, that it can upgraded only with SATA version of SSDs.
ASUS website, about the specs (the storage panel only states, M.2 SATA):
image.png

ZenTalk post about almost the same problem (this is where I got the image from):
image.png

Thank you guys for helping.