cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Vivobook S15 S532F RAM upgrade

vakos829
Star I

Hello everyone,

I have an ASUS Vivobook S15 S532F laptop, and I expanded the RAM. I found information stating that the laptop has with 8GB of RAM, and the maximum expansion capacity is 16 GB. However, I am unsure whether this 16 GB should be considered in addition to the existing 8GB or if it is the total limit, including the initial 8GB. This question because I expanded it with an additional 16 GB, making it a total of 24 GB of RAM. However, I've noticed a slight decrease in the laptop's speed. I've heard that exceeding the recommended RAM limit can cause issues.

Can anyone help clarify whether adding 16 GB on top of the initial 8 GB is appropriate or if it might be too much for the laptop?

Thank you for your responses!

6 REPLIES 6

Falcon_ASUS

@vakos829
Please refer to the following FAQ to confirm the complete model number of the laptop you are using.
This way, I can further check the detailed specifications.
How to find Model Name
Thank you.

Thanks for the answer,
I've verified that the laptop's model is specifically from the Vivobook S15 series, the S532FL model. Within this series, there are several variations, so I'll provide some additional information:
BIOS Model: X532FL.305
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8565U CPU @ 1.80 GHz (8CPUs), ~2.0 GHz
Memory: 8192 MB RAM
In addition, as I mentioned in my previous message, I had plus 16 GB of RAM in the laptop for two days. After removing it, I experienced two instances of blue screen errors after 2 days. This has never happened before, and Norton did not find any issues. Is it possible that using more RAM than the specifications allow could cause a circuitry problem?

@vakos829 
The following is the specification information for your laptop.
https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/vivobook/vivobook-s15-s532/techspec/

You can see that the system's maximum supported memory is 16GB.
Since your model has only one memory slot, if the shipped specification includes onboard memory of 8GB, you can install an additional memory module for 8GB (making it a total of 16GB). However, if you install a larger memory module, we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility with your system.

With your current situation, it is recommended that you refer to the following information to systematically eliminate potential issues.
[Notebook/Desktop/AIO/MiniPC] Troubleshooting - Blue Screen Errors in Windows (BSOD)
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Thanks for the response! However, on some websites, I found a maximum expandability of 12 GB. In addition, I checked the RAM capacity with the following command in CMD: wmic memphysical get maxcapacity, and it gave a value of 33554432, which corresponds to 32 GB. In this case, among the options of 12, 16, and 32 GB, which one is correct? I assume it's the latter.