Star II
System: win 10 pro
Battery or AC: ac
Model: F512DA-WH31
Frequency of occurrence: always
Reset OS: Don't need to
BIOS VERSION: 310
========================
Detailed description:I sent this laptop back to Asus Repair in Texas to get the bios to see a USB stick. They did not fix the issue. All they did was update the bios. They did not even check to see if a USB stick would be seen in the bios. That sucks!
"THERE IS NO CSM" ( Compatibility Support Module ) to enable or disable in the bios. Now It was formated FAT 32. with Windows PE boot software. I used a Crucial 2.0 128gb USB stick. BIOS would NOT see it. Also bought a brand new Patriot 3.1 128gb USB Stick. formated FAT 32. with Windows PE boot software the bios would not see it. "SECURE BOOT WAS DISABLED!!!" I found out how to do it. I made a Windows 10 Pro Recovery Disk on my Patriot 3.1 128gb USB stick. Guess what? It saw it in the BIOS! it was a "UEFI" protocall formated Fat32. Now That tells me that the BIOS Will NOT SEE ANY USB STICK That runs Windows PE Boot Software. IT MUST BE UEFI PROTOCALL FORMATED FAT32. That sucks! Why? Windows 10 Pro Recovery Disk slower than snot to backup my 128gb SSD ( M.2 ) Could not find any backup software that this bios would see using WindowPE boot software or Using UEFI Protocall. This laptop Needs the CSM Module ( Compatibility Support Module ) in the BIOS. So you can use WindowsPE Boot Software.
I made sure everything in the BIOS was unlocked and Secure Boot was "DISABLED" Asus has gotta fix this issue!!
NOTE:
CSM or Compatibility Support Module is something that allows booting in legacy BIOS mode on UEFI systems.
19 REPLIES 19

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
Hey hazerdude.
Why told below sentence.
**ANY USB STICK That runs Windows PE Boot Software. IT MUST BE UEFI PROTOCALL FORMATED FAT32. That sucks! Why?**
I booted windows 10 PE bootable usb pendrive formatted with NTFS many times without CSM , only disabled securef boot..
If you windows 10 PE iso window's 10 1909 64 bit iso means, use rufus 3.9 software, format as ntfs, select gpt uefi non csm

hozerdude
Star II
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

Hey hazerdude.

Why told below sentence.

**ANY USB STICK That runs Windows PE Boot Software. IT MUST BE UEFI PROTOCALL FORMATED FAT32. That sucks! Why?**

I booted windows 10 PE bootable usb pendrive formatted with NTFS many times without CSM , only disabled securef boot..

If you windows 10 PE iso window's 10 1909 64 bit iso means, use rufus 3.9 software, format as ntfs, select gpt uefi non csm

View post
I'm glad it worked out for you on your computer. The Bios I have WILL NOT SEE ANY USB STICKS made with WindowsPE Boot Software. I have been a tech for around 20 years going back to the old MS 6.02 dos days.
There is no CSM in the BIOS. I guess you did not read what I stated sir. I don't need to make a boot disk or USB for Windows 10 pro. I already have it. I am trying to find a backup program that will use "UEFI ONLY" because the Bios Will Not See a WindowsPE boot USB drive unless its UEFI ONLY! I have never this issue in the 20 years I have be fixing and building systems. The only way I can make a backup is to make a Windows 10 Recovery Disk and the BIOS see's it as "UEFI: and Windows 10 recovery disk is slower than hell!

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
I read post clearly. Your title said bios failed usb could not see in bios. So I said usb formatted with ntfs , will detect in newer model bios.
I create own windows complete image backup in single file, and I kept in seperate partition..last week I took backup which is 45GB

hozerdude
Star II
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

I read post clearly. Your title said bios failed usb could not see in bios. So I said usb formatted with ntfs , will detect in newer model bios.

I create own windows complete image backup in single file, and I kept in seperate partition..last week I took backup which is 45GB

View post
Sorry but that did not work. This brand new Asus Vivo15 Laptop looks like I'll have to suffer with Windows 10 Recovery Disk which is slower than hell. I have no problems with my other 3 desktops. I can make backups no problem without using Windows 10 Recovery DIsk. It's just this brand new Asus vivobook 15 laptop.
Thanks for trying!!