Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 2 random shut down

maeevelynn
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 2
Firmware Version: Android 9 Build number PKQ1.190414.001.WW_Phone-16.0640.1908.12
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Weekly
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I am having an issue (have had for almost 8 months) where the phone randomly shuts down. I do not have auto reset or anything enabled. This occurs even more frequently when the phone is charging using either port. But it still happens randomly when using various applications. This is not specific to one app or only when charging, I really mean randomly. The other issue is, after it shuts down, if I immediately try to turn it back on it will make it to the splash screen and then turn off again. I have to wait 15-30 minutes before I can turn it back on. I've spoken to ASUS support and they were not able to get the phone into a service center during the warranty period due to Covid, now that period is up. I just want a useable phone again and tech support keeps asking the same questions over and over again, and suggesting the same two fixes. Check for updates and reset the phone, or send it into a service center. I'd really like to have sent it in for service but my warranty of over now. I cant even game on my phone like its intended for...
4 REPLIES 4

ronald1985
Community Legend I
maeevelynn

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 2
  2. Firmware Version: Android 9 Build number PKQ1.190414.001.WW_Phone-16.0640.1908.12
  3. Rooted or not: Not Rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Weekly

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I am having an issue (have had for almost 8 months) where the phone randomly shuts down. I do not have auto reset or anything enabled. This occurs even more frequently when the phone is charging using either port. But it still happens randomly when using various applications. This is not specific to one app or only when charging, I really mean randomly. The other issue is, after it shuts down, if I immediately try to turn it back on it will make it to the splash screen and then turn off again. I have to wait 15-30 minutes before I can turn it back on. I've spoken to ASUS support and they were not able to get the phone into a service center during the warranty period due to Covid, now that period is up. I just want a useable phone again and tech support keeps asking the same questions over and over again, and suggesting the same two fixes. Check for updates and reset the phone, or send it into a service center. I'd really like to have sent it in for service but my warranty of over now. I cant even game on my phone like its intended for...

ROG Phone 2 random shut down
The advice mods here are giving is to take your phone to service centre.

maeevelynn
Star II
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/45854/rog-phone-2-random-shut-down

The advice mods here are giving is to take your phone to service centre.

View post
I live on the west coast (US) and have no service centers near me. The one time I did send the phone off they never fixed the issue. They sent it back saying that there was no problem. They also wanted a video of this happening but its so random I'm not recording the use of the phone when it happens.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
maeevelynn

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157346#Comment_157346

I live on the west coast (US) and have no service centers near me. The one time I did send the phone off they never fixed the issue. They sent it back saying that there was no problem. They also wanted a video of this happening but its so random I'm not recording the use of the phone when it happens.

View post
Sorry to hear that, I understand it is an issue if you're no where near an ASUS service centre. It's probably worth getting in touch with the last service centre again and say it has happened again. The reason why is because they would of made a note of the issue from last time. A recording is useful to demonstrate the issue, but it is great if you did have one.
A mod here has said most of the device logs provided to dev has suggested to do with hardware. I have no further detail on why it's happening though.

maeevelynn
Star II
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157348#Comment_157348

Sorry to hear that, I understand it is an issue if you're no where near an ASUS service centre. It's probably worth getting in touch with the last service centre again and say it has happened again. The reason why is because they would of made a note of the issue from last time. A recording is useful to demonstrate the issue, but it is great if you did have one.

A mod here has said most of the device logs provided to dev has suggested to do with hardware. I have no further detail on why it's happening though.

View post
I didnt think of that. I'll make another service request at the same center and ask for the same tech. That makes a lot of sense.