cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Resolved] Bootloader relock does not restore Widevine L1

anthonws
Star II
Hello ASUS,
There's several reports out there that after unlocking the bootloader and relocking it does not restore the Widevine L1 certification. Device remains with L3 keys only.
Wondering if this is intended and why. Every other major OEM out there that I've had a phone from, allowed L1 to be restored after relocking bootloader.
It's really not understandable that ASUS want's to create and foster a Custom ROM scene for their devices, by sending phones to selected developers, and then penalizing clients that want to be part of that same movement.
Speaking for the entire community, since I'm sure everyone shares my point of view, if reacquiring L1 certification is not possible after unlock, is there any way for ASUS to change their hearts on this matter? That is, if technologically possible (e.g. if keys are not deleted...).
Thanks,
anthonws.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

krishna_charan
Star II
Hello,
1. Flash A9 using edl method
2. After successful flash phone will reboot don't setup anything directly head to developer settings.
3. Turn adb on 
4. Reboot to fastboot mode.
5. Use fastboot oem asus-csc_lk
6. Reboot to recovery and format data or factory reset 
7. Done your bootloader is locked and widevine L1 is back.

I have done this there were no issues with my phone so, do this at your risk I cannot assure anything.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

krishna_charan
Star II
Hello,
2. After successful flash phone will reboot don't setup anything directly head to developer settings.
3. Turn adb on 

I have done this there were no issues with my phone so, do this at your risk I cannot assure anything.

anthonws
Star II
Thank you @krishna charan for the detailed steps!
This is super helpful for everyone wanting to be part of the Custom ROM scene!
One last question. Would this also work with A10 or does it have to be done mandatorily with A9?
Best regards,
anthonws.

mamayankag
Rising Star I
krishna charan

Hello,

3. Turn adb on 

View post
And did you unlock your device's bootloader using the ASUS's App or through EDL method?

cristianoashok7
Star II
@krishna charan how should I enter the EDL mode and is there a flash tool to flash the stock rom