This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Phone 2 won't charge from bottom USB C port unless phone is restarted

krkaran12
Star II
I am unable to charge my phone from bottom USB C port , unless i restart my phone.
Once phone is restarted while connected to charger it detects charging from bottom USB C port.

But if i unplug and plug in again it is not detected
29 REPLIES 29

ronkpa7
Star II
John Pachuau

Same problem for me..can charged only after phone restarted..also this happens after latest update [200605] ROG Phone II_ZS660KL_JP_17.0240.2004.9

View post
Hey bro, chibai! You can see my earlier reply to the original post as Karen has said, it is a software issue cos it happened with me only after the latest FOTA, plus as I said earlier I disabled schedule charging, turned off battery optimization and restarted the phone while plugging in the USB in bottom port. It worked and also I would like to say that now it seems to work most of the time. Only once a day it poses this problem of not charging then if I reboot with cable plugged in its fine and then the while day it seems to charge fine as I randomly tested it throughout the day to see if the problem persists or not. So, i hope they release an update to fix this issue soon.

ronkpa7
Star II
krkaran12

Yes the side port works fine and the bottom port also works fine after reboot.

And this issue is faced by many ROG2 user after [200605] ROG Phone II_ZS660KL_JP_17.0240.2004.9 update.

So clearly this is not a hardware issue

I will try to get serial logs and check the issue. Probably would need to customize Asus Kernel code to resolve this issue

View post
Thanx bro, most of us are not technically gifted like you😁 so ursolution worked and I just want to add that now the problem is intermittent for me. I dont know why, but once a day it occurs, so I simply do what u suggested and its gone, then the whole day it doesn't occur. I randomly test charged it to check for the past few days. I hope they bring out an update soon.

ronkpa7
Star II
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/90553#Comment_90553

If you know how kernels work, kernel will contact the USB-C port board, which means something is not initialised when you plug in. When you restart, that extra power boost can initialize the hardware from the motherboard. That's why restarting works.

To me, it sounds like the USB-C has either become loosen, a defective USB-C port or a short circuit to the USB port (potentially by having a charger that's plugged in and insert it into USB-C port).

Furthermore, unless your not on the latest firmware, I certainly haven't seen this issue as I use my bottom USB port all the time.

View post
Hi, we are facing this issue and I almost sent my phone to the service centre but thanx to karan here, the solution of restarting the phone while the cable is plugged in worked. Now, it's a pure software issue as the phone charges fine from the bottom port with the same cable and charger, it works on the side port as well. And all of a sudden this issue started with so many people, I checked Reddit and other forums as well and there too people are looking for a solution. So, except a very few hardware issue cases I dont so many people will have the same issue after the latest update at the same time.... BTW its more like once a day issue for me now, as I restart the phone with cable plugged to the bottom port it works fine the whole day. I test charged it randomly during the day to check and see whether the problem persists or not and it charges fine. Then the next day, or the day after, it causes this issue again and I follow the step given by karan and it works again. So I think they should come up with an update to fix this as it started after the latest update to many people.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
ronkpa7

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/90564#Comment_90564

Hi, we are facing this issue and I almost sent my phone to the service centre but thanx to karan here, the solution of restarting the phone while the cable is plugged in worked. Now, it's a pure software issue as the phone charges fine from the bottom port with the same cable and charger, it works on the side port as well. And all of a sudden this issue started with so many people, I checked Reddit and other forums as well and there too people are looking for a solution. So, except a very few hardware issue cases I dont so many people will have the same issue after the latest update at the same time.... BTW its more like once a day issue for me now, as I restart the phone with cable plugged to the bottom port it works fine the whole day. I test charged it randomly during the day to check and see whether the problem persists or not and it charges fine. Then the next day, or the day after, it causes this issue again and I follow the step given by karan and it works again. So I think they should come up with an update to fix this as it started after the latest update to many people.

View post
You should send it to repair centre just to ensure its not a hardware issue, but obviously when it opens. Not all issues can be resolved by software.
Can you send the link across for the issue on Reddit?

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@krkaran12 @ronkpa7 @John Pachuau Can you guys help me out with device logs? I'm sending you each a PM with instructions.