This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Phone 2 - Refresh rate issue

kris_reynolds77
Star II
Ive had this phone now for a couple of weeks and for all round daily stuff, the phone is brilliant.

However, I have one issue with it that I cannot seem to solve with firmware updates or anything. Refresh rates, or rather, the fact that they aren't what they say they are when you can select 60, 90 or 120.
I love old school emulation like retroarch and other emulators and they absolutely rely on a 60hz lock in order to function without micro skipping etc in video. This phone, when set to 60hz simply doesnt do that, it slightly out. This isnt a common issue with gaming phones as I also have a Black Shark 2 which is a total lock on 60hz at all times and doesnt have any of the skip on emaultors like Retroarch, PPSSPP etc.
Firstly I suppose, I want to rule out that its not just my device. I guess it could be defective. Does anyone else have this issue? Its just tiny microskipping that results from the refresh not being exact to what it should be.

Easy way to find out is to use an emulated game where the skipping is easy to spot.

Snes9xEX is also a good way to tell. As in that emulator you can have the program auto detect the framerate which gives you a true indication of what it actually is. Mine says its 59.73hz, which is why games skip. Having an emulator wanting to send 60 images a second, but a device thats only allowing 59.73 means skipped frames every couple of seconds which is distracting.
Obviously, for a gaming phone, something like this should be a given out of the box!!
12 REPLIES 12

kris_reynolds77
Star II
Will there be any official update to this? Since I made the original post I have since sold on the tencent model and got the official UK 1tb version of the phone and it has exactly the same issue. The refresh rate is not 60hz. Its lower, its 59.8 which introduces micro stutter in anything that needs 60hz. Surely this should be recognised and fixed??

kris_reynolds77
Star II
This can be tested by anyone that is interested in seeing if it's a issue across the board or not by using the website vsynctester.com. you can also use any of the .emu apps from the play store or another website called testufo.com/refreshrate.

They all give exactly the same figure on both my phone's of 59.8hz instead of 60.
Failing that, can someone point me in the direction of a proper site to submit bugs to seeing as no one from Asus acknowledges issues here?

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
kris_reynolds77

This can be tested by anyone that is interested in seeing if it's a issue across the board or not by using the website vsynctester.com. you can also use any of the .emu apps from the play store or another website called testufo.com/refreshrate.

They all give exactly the same figure on both my phone's of 59.8hz instead of 60.

Failing that, can someone point me in the direction of a proper site to submit bugs to seeing as no one from Asus acknowledges issues here?

View post
I'm sorry kris, we missed this post. It wasn't intentional.
I don't have a ROG Phone II test unit available right now, but once I can test myself or hear back from the software team, I can give you a more in depth answer.

SHEIKH_AZHARUDD
Rising Star II
Also if you compare the 60Hz of this phone with any other phone be it OnePlus/redmi/realme etc phone feels too laggy...in 120Hz sometime in between it lags kind of feels like it intermittently switched to 60/90Hz and then again switched back to 120Hz