This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 8 Pro - 2nd type C port (plugin in USB C to 3.5MM JACK)

Simon_So
Star III

Something Asus need to take note, when plugged in on the 2nd type C port using a type C to 3.5mm jack converter, Android will prompt a unrecognized device. Unfortunately this happen right after I plugged in the Aero Cooler. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gtoonm
Rising Star I

Is this the port on the side of the phone or the one below? And is this an active or passive dongle?

By that I mean that there are dongles that are simply pass through, they have a USBC on one side and a 3.5mm jack on the other. The active dongles have a DAC chip on the USB side to convert the digital signals into analog ones for the headphones.

And the reason this is important is that most phones need an active dongle to get sound out of the USB port. Many phones like pixels or samsungs will give you a notification saying they detected an analog audio device and don't support them or an unrecognized device.

Other phones like Xiaomi and Oneplus actually push an analog audio signal out of the USB port, so you can use either dongle, an active one with chip or a passive one to save battery.

I don't have an ROG8 on hand but my guess is that neither of the two ports has the analog audio option since the phone actually has an actual 3.5mm audio jack. And if you are plugging in a passive dongle from Sony or oneplus, the phone will not recognize the device.

But if it is a dongle with a DAC chip and the phone doesn't recognize it, then it is a software problem and someone here should contact development to fix it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gtoonm
Rising Star I

Is this the port on the side of the phone or the one below? And is this an active or passive dongle?

By that I mean that there are dongles that are simply pass through, they have a USBC on one side and a 3.5mm jack on the other. The active dongles have a DAC chip on the USB side to convert the digital signals into analog ones for the headphones.

And the reason this is important is that most phones need an active dongle to get sound out of the USB port. Many phones like pixels or samsungs will give you a notification saying they detected an analog audio device and don't support them or an unrecognized device.

Other phones like Xiaomi and Oneplus actually push an analog audio signal out of the USB port, so you can use either dongle, an active one with chip or a passive one to save battery.

I don't have an ROG8 on hand but my guess is that neither of the two ports has the analog audio option since the phone actually has an actual 3.5mm audio jack. And if you are plugging in a passive dongle from Sony or oneplus, the phone will not recognize the device.

But if it is a dongle with a DAC chip and the phone doesn't recognize it, then it is a software problem and someone here should contact development to fix it.

You're right it's the side port. I'm waiting for a USB C to 3.5mm converter with DAC chip. Arriving today, I believe that should solve the issue. Thanks again for replying with such detailed explanation. 

If you don't mind me asking, why are you using a dongle? The phone has a 3.5mm port in it

Because I didn't like it disturbing my right hand when gaming 😅