This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Trigger issues based on my observation

nightsilvance
Star III

I have used every ROG phone as my main phone except ROG 5.

Like many people here I have had issues with the Air Triggers on my Rog Phone 8 Pro and I am also very disappointed in this year's iteration of ROG phone.

The triggers are difficult to actuate triggers, requiring more force compared to Rog 7, and also frequently Air triggers getting stuck mid game, often ruining the game.

I have noticed that when games get more intense and I am subconsciously pressing harder, the issues are more likely to happen, and I have noticed that when I apply even abit of twisting force to the phone's housing, the triggers will actuate unintentionally. The issue is alot worse when I am using the plastic phone case that come in the box. 

It doesnt help as well that the camera bump is in the way of my grip causing me to hold it in the way that makes the issue more likely to occur.

The main reason I believe to be the case is the poor engineering decision to use pressure actuated triggers rather than the capacitive ones in ROG 7 or earlier models. The plastic case as well as how users hold the phone and how hard we press is interfering with the triggers so much that when i press left trigger, the right trigger also reacts.

The hard plastic case in the box also seems to be clipping hard enough on the phone's housing that the sensor are sensing an input and gets stuck.

Currently in my case it seems like using it without a case or with a softer case like the devilcase seem to alleviate the issue (But doesnt fix it, triggers can still get stuck even without any case). I think the root cause is hardware design related and I am not sure how much all these software updates can fix the issue. Would be great if Asus can make it work, it really felt like I bought a gaming phone that is more unreliable than any other mainstream device and this is not a good look. 

Also my SW: 34.1420.1420.327

Please tell me that there is a way to fix it. I can live with the triggers being slightly harder to press, but it getting stuck and unintentionally release when I'm holding it is completely unacceptable

12 REPLIES 12

Blessedbe
Star II

This happens because the display presses on some part of the corus and the trigger is triggered. If you put a ruler on the display, you will see that it is curved. You can press the display closer to the center, the left trigger will be triggered. **bleep**, not a phone😓

Yes you are right. I have noticed it happening as well when im pressing on the screen or on the back of the phone near the trigger location. In my case the right trigger is alot worse than the left trigger.  

The problem seems to be that they cannot limit the trigger to pressure coming from the correct direction. When  gaming intensely there is no way we can avoid having some flex on the phone body, and this is resulting in alot of false activation of the triggers or getting them stuck.

MiroS
Rising Star I

Yes, I have the same problem that makes a gaming phone a phone from the category of 600 euros, because when you think of triggers, the Asus 8 pro is somewhere at the level of mid-range phones and not a flagship , that is, only in price, they are not ashamed to ask....

Yes, it really felt like a gaming phone that has compromised what matters to gaming the most and instead trying to go mainstream. I bought the phone for many years mainly for the features like these triggers. But if future design is going to compromise gaming features to focus on more mainstream features I may have to rethink if it is worth it to continue using ROG