This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Phone 8 Is a RIP Off, do not buy ! 🗑️

waxy78611
Zen Master I

If you're wondering whether the speakers are better or even the SAME as previous Rog phones, the answer is no. The speakers on the 8, 1 on front and one on the bottom bezel, different to all other Rog phones. No dedicated amplifiers with the Rog 8, all other Rog phones had dedicated amplifiers. Speakers are a huge downgrade with Rog 8, no more rich or bassy sound. That ended with the Rog 7.

So the question is, how is the ridiculous €1300 or €1600 justified? It's not. You aren't getting any flagship features at all. Still a FHD screen, speakers are massively downgraded, only 2 years worth of software updates, obsolete hardware (we all know what happened to Rog 2 phones suddenly dieing, Rog 3 had the black crush screen issues, Rog 5 had the dead WiFi and hotspot issue which ruined the motherboard , Rog 6 had a front camera hardware fault which caused the Rog 6 to die. Rog 7 has been ruined with software updates. Oh and the previous Rog phones were also ruined with software updates. Cameras are improved but average, nothing flagship about them.  Battery is downgraded to 5500mah (oh yeah, there's a Chinese youtube channel that compared Rog 8 battery life to Rog 7, Rog 7 battery life is significantly better. Rog 8 has worse battery than all previous Rog phones).

Just buy a red magic for half the price Or, go for the Samsung s24 ultra, you'll get a WQHD+ screen, better warranty, more reliable hardware, longer software updates, better resale value, better design, much much better cameras all for a lower price than the ridiculous Rog phone 8. 

There's nothing about the Rog phone 8 that can justify it's price tag. Asus have ruined the Rog series. Ask yourself this, are you getting better features with a s24 ultra, Vivo x100 pro, oppo find x7 ultra, the latest Sony phone or a Rog phone 8? Factor in the price too. 

Last but not least, no more bootloader unlocking supported by ASUS. firmware downgrades not possible too 😅 so if you receive a bad software update (which Asus loves giving, updates that ruin phones) you are stuck on that update. Also, Asus have removed all updates from their website except the latest one (which will ruin your phone). 

The s24 ultra is announced tomorrow so if you're looking for a new phone, go for the s24 ultra. I've listed the reason above as to why you should get the s24 ultra. 

Time to say bye to Asus.

12 REPLIES 12

The Rog 8 speakers are definitely better than the s24 ultra speakers but, don't expect the same richness, bass and quality as the Rog 7 or Rog 6 or Rog 5 or Rog 3 speakers. Rog 8 speakers are a massive downgrade. If you have the Rog 7, just hold onto that. I will buy another Rog 7 

Wootag
Star II

I've received mine 6 days ago and I'm really disappointed, it's not about cameras, or speakers, or display it's about, let's call it, their "trademark", Air Triggers and AeroActive Cooler.

The Air Triggers are not UltraSonic anymore but Pressure Sensitive buttons and are unreliable no matter which level I set the sensitivity, are working fine on tap-tap-tap but on tap and hold sometimes are working, sometimes not and there's nothing I can do about. 

The AeroActive Cooler X it's acting on it's own, buttons are entering in sleep mode every 10 seconds of not using, to waking it up it needs to press one of the two buttons but it doesn't take the command only after 2 seconds, out of the sudden it's turning off and it's popping up the message that the cooler has been removed.

So...you can't play a FPS game, but Tetris it's working just fine on this 1500€ device.

Well done ASUS!👏🏻

Very disappointing to read your post ! Even without the downgrades I mentioned, looks like there's loads more issues. 

I'm not sure what consumer law is like in your country but in the UK, if something is purchased online, it is classed as long distance selling/long distance purchase & is covered with a 15 or maximum 30 day money back guarantee.

If I was you, I would return the Rog phone 8 and get a refund. Go for the Rog phone 7, I'm using it and it's brilliant. Only thing is don't update the Rog 7 software, otherwise you'll end up with battery drain and heating issues