This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 6D and Netflix HDR

FunBike31
Community Legend I
After the NetFlix outage and its return, no one here complains about the quality?, all Chinese users have found that NetFlix has lost HDR, either you have very bad eyesight, I will be very surprised that only the Chinese version is impacted
10 REPLIES 10

ktw
Rising Star II
Well that sucks. It does seem like there are a number of complaints on Netflix HDR with 6D.
Could it be just another compatibility issue of some sort again? A user mentioned in one of the threads that he couldn't get HDR in the newest version of Netflix and installing an older build of Netflix resolved the issue for him

FunBike31
Community Legend I
2 european users impacted on 6D, resolved with a November release taken from apkmirror.
Can't find anyone with a Vivo X80 to know if it's mediatek related or just ROG6D
The problem comes from Netflix, quite exceptional that it does not come from ASUS to be noted in the calendar
😁

ktw
Rising Star II
I did a bit of research into this and it's probably not strictly a MTK-related problem, nor just ROG6D.
Users from other brands such as Samsung (S20 FE, S21, S22U, etc.) and Xiaomi (10) have reported the same issue with Netflix last year and this year. Netflix misidentified their devices with L3 instead of L1 widevine, thus no HDR for them even though DRM Info confirms that their devices are L1 and they are on Netflix's per-device whitelist.
The workaround for this Netflix HDR issue seems pretty simple: uninstall Netflix -> restart the device -> install Netflix again, and L1 should return.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Yes, the error comes from the NetFlix database of compatible devices (damaged or modified)
The problem is that the ROG 6D, the S20 and S22 (my son had the problem on both), these devices had L1 after the first installation.
L3 appeared on S20 and S22 without clearing cache or data and certainly the same for 6D, so NetFLIX pushed L3 on devices that had L1 but is unable to push L1😡