cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone is charging irregulary via PowerBank

ResRhodan
Star I

Good day dear folks.

I'm happy with my recent upgrade from my ROG Phone 3 to the Phone 6 so far. Buuuut i have a slight issue regarding to recharging the Phone via a Power Bank (in my case the Anker 737 Power Core 24K). The Power Bank is capable (and proved to work) loading devices via any of the USB-C connectors with up to 140W. Tested this with a friends Notebook and my own, with both drawn far beyond the 60W mark and different, correct rated cables. Even with the original cable, that came with the phone, the other devices were capable to draw the cable rated 45W consistently.

And there ist where my problem is. When i charge the Phone 6 with it, it tells me it does Fast charging (not HyperCharging, but i could life with that), but in reality it does charge barly at all. Since the Powerbank is capable of telling me, how much the device is pulling from it, i can see it fluctuate back and forth between 8,6 W, 4,2 W and 0,1 W constantly. With that in mind, its now wonder that the phone doesn't get a resonable charge. I tried to deactivate all charging restrictions in the settings menu like steady charging and so on, but with no luck. I also tried how it behaves when i turn it off, so the OS can't interfear as mutch, but with the same resoult, it goes all over the place. I want to note, that this behaviour appears on a USB-C to USB-C connection only. When i use a USB-A tu USB-C cable with the same power bank (yes it got one A legacy port),it will not charge take charge at all in all states, even when i put the power bank in legacy copatibility mode for that port. And yes, it behaves the same, regartless with USB connector i use on the phone. Since i tested it with multible cables, incl. the original cable, I'm hitting a bit of a wall here. Is there anything I could futhur try out? I have my doubts that the power bank is the issue, since it can charge all smartphones and notebooks from my family (with aren't all ASUS devices, but one NB is, and there it works fine, even with full speed) without a hitch and in one continuisly run.

Maybe some smarter people have an idea what is going on here :).

Oh yea, and here are the obligatory required Model, Firmware and so on:

• Model Name: ASUS ROG Phone 6 Diablo Imortal Edition (AI2201-6B085WW)
  • Firmware Version: WW_33.0610.2810.166
  • Rooted or not: NOT rooted and no enabled developer mode
  • Frequency of Occurrence: Always

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Mattias,

thaks for the answere. For you knowledge: Yes the Power bank is capable of speaking that protocol. I could verify it via a USB debugger tool in the middle of the connection :eyes:. And I found the reason why the Powerbank wans't shure what to deliver. (honestly i found it by acident buy could verify it later on with the methode mentioned) The clue is, that the phone didn't responded to the signal from the power bank correctly. It only gave its ID you and then,.. silence. The fix was to go into the system settings and forced the system to initalise every new USB connection event as a data/file transfer connection, and not as an "No data transfer" connection as it is set by default. (see the option in the screenshot)

After it was set, the charge rate immideatly stabelised at aroud 10W and after 5 seconds, the phone even initalised the hyperCharge mode and drawed the full 35W for the mode. Even when the system is off, it seems the setting has still some influence, since its stable now there too.

But only to your push in the right direction, i was able to figure that out 🙂 . So thank you for leading my at the right direction Mattias.

Hope this Thread helps others, when they have a similar issue, to have at least a point to start. btw,.. you can access the setting showed in the screeshot under the following paths (depends if you have dev mode active or not. Then its active, the options are not accesiable at the first path)

Normal Path to the setting: Setting--> connected devices --> Connection preferences --> USB configuration (it only showes up when there is an active USB connection, otherwhise use the search bar)

DEV Mode enabled path: Settings --> System --> Developer options --> under the Block "Networking" --> Default USB configuration (no active USB cnnection required to access the options here)

So at the end, were are all happy and learned something new about the system :). Thanks again Mattias from germany for you quick respons time leading to the conclusion. Have a good one all 🙂

Screenshot_20231107-181827_Settings.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mattias_ASUS

Hi!

I was checking a bit and I'm not entirely sure if the powerbank supports the PPS protocol, I can't seem to find that info on their webpage.

But when it comes to charging speeds it's dependent on mostly 3 parameters: The battery level, the temperature and if your screen is on or off.

Hey Mattias,

thaks for the answere. For you knowledge: Yes the Power bank is capable of speaking that protocol. I could verify it via a USB debugger tool in the middle of the connection :eyes:. And I found the reason why the Powerbank wans't shure what to deliver. (honestly i found it by acident buy could verify it later on with the methode mentioned) The clue is, that the phone didn't responded to the signal from the power bank correctly. It only gave its ID you and then,.. silence. The fix was to go into the system settings and forced the system to initalise every new USB connection event as a data/file transfer connection, and not as an "No data transfer" connection as it is set by default. (see the option in the screenshot)

After it was set, the charge rate immideatly stabelised at aroud 10W and after 5 seconds, the phone even initalised the hyperCharge mode and drawed the full 35W for the mode. Even when the system is off, it seems the setting has still some influence, since its stable now there too.

But only to your push in the right direction, i was able to figure that out 🙂 . So thank you for leading my at the right direction Mattias.

Hope this Thread helps others, when they have a similar issue, to have at least a point to start. btw,.. you can access the setting showed in the screeshot under the following paths (depends if you have dev mode active or not. Then its active, the options are not accesiable at the first path)

Normal Path to the setting: Setting--> connected devices --> Connection preferences --> USB configuration (it only showes up when there is an active USB connection, otherwhise use the search bar)

DEV Mode enabled path: Settings --> System --> Developer options --> under the Block "Networking" --> Default USB configuration (no active USB cnnection required to access the options here)

So at the end, were are all happy and learned something new about the system :). Thanks again Mattias from germany for you quick respons time leading to the conclusion. Have a good one all 🙂

Screenshot_20231107-181827_Settings.jpg