Canada VoLTE Support

Nero9937
Star I

Model Name: ROG Phone 6 Pro
Firmware Version: 33.0610.2810.157
Rooted or not: Not rooted, bootloader still locked
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

Hi, I have a ROG Phone 6 Pro and I live in Canada, and I have tried enabling VoLTE with correctly provisioned SIM cards from 4 different carriers (Vidéotron, Bell, Telus, Rogers) via both call settings and forcing it via dialer codes, and the phone does not seem to support any Canadian networks for VoLTE. It does not register for IMS or VoLTE service with any carrier, and I have validated that none of the carriers have a whitelist. This is problematic since Canadian carriers plan to sunset their 3G networks by the end of 2024.

Does ASUS plan to add support for Canadian networks in a future update ?

PS. I have also tried reaching ASUS support to ask this exact question, and have been told I'd be contacted withing 48h, but have not received any updates almost a week later. the case number is 2307087072. 

Thanks in advance !

2 REPLIES 2

SnowFuhrer
Star II

Contact your carrier, it's not ASUS's problem, the carrier has to add them.

That's actually factually wrong. Canadian carriers require a specific IMS profile that is missing in the phone. The phone's modem is missing a key blob that allows it to understand how to negotiate with the carrier's servers. That blob can be added by extracting the profile from another Snapdragon 8+ gen 1 device that has the blob and adding it to the phone using Qualcomm diagnostic tools. Problem is, that requires rooting your device, and I'm not willing to do so. 

I've already taken time to explain that Canadian carriers do NOT whitelist devices, as per the CRTC's rules (government regulation entity). They simply use specific configurations for VoLTE negotiations, and those simply need to be added to the phone's firmware. Lookup Carrier IMS profiles if you wanna make sure.