Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5, ASUS_I005DA, EU_I005D
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Constant
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
========================================
Just got this phone the other day from the ASUS UK web store. Have been unable to maintain a constant mobile data connection at all. I've tried both with an EE sim and a Three sim, both sims work perfectly in other phones (Pixel 4 & Pixel 2 XL) with full 4G reception.
I'll get maybe a bar or 2 of 4G connection, and maybe a few seconds of semi-working mobile data before I get the "No internet" status, usually followed by the the the connection dropping down to 3G then EDGE (2G) shortly after, which don't seem to work either.
Looking at the network in settings it often seems to be Disconnected instead of the correct network. Switching to manually choose a network will often simply fail, stating the network service is unavailable. If it does successfully connect the issues stated above still occur. In the menu to select the network I can see both the 4G and Edge networks at are full or near to full reception but when I connect to them I never get that high reception.
I've tried changing APNs various times to a multitude of a different values (including the officials ones suggested by EE and Three) to no success.
I've tried both sim slots for all of this, no success either.
I've run some of the relevant tests via the calculator app:
Sim Card Test: Pass
Sim Card2 Test: Pass
Sim Signal Test: Fail (Success button never appears) I'll see various things here as the mobile work connection changes: Both connected and disconnected network. Edge signal strength: 11(asu), -91(dBm), LTE signal strength: 20 (asu) -210 (dBm), LTE signal strength: -2147383509 (asu) 2147383647 (dBm). Similar signal strenth results for HSPAP.

Looking around the forum this worryingly seems to be a somewhat common issue with other Asus phones. In particular this thread seems to suggest that a recent software update broke the phone's support for the EE network, and that the only confirmed way for me to fix the problem is to get a Vodafone sim. https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/42198/update-17-0823-2009-99-broke-moblie-internet

13 REPLIES 13

Joshrog5
Star II
I've ordered a vodafone sim card, will update here once received and tested.

antidevil1332
Star I
Very worst Network Connections... I will return on Amazon... One plus is best in Network Connections

antidevil1332
Star I
Rog 5 totally disappointed with network issues...

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Joshrog5

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 5, ASUS_I005DA, EU_I005D
  2. Firmware Version:
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Constant
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

========================================

Just got this phone the other day from the ASUS UK web store. Have been unable to maintain a constant mobile data connection at all. I've tried both with an EE sim and a Three sim, both sims work perfectly in other phones (Pixel 4 & Pixel 2 XL) with full 4G reception.

I'll get maybe a bar or 2 of 4G connection, and maybe a few seconds of semi-working mobile data before I get the "No internet" status, usually followed by the the the connection dropping down to 3G then EDGE (2G) shortly after, which don't seem to work either.

Looking at the network in settings it often seems to be Disconnected instead of the correct network. Switching to manually choose a network will often simply fail, stating the network service is unavailable. If it does successfully connect the issues stated above still occur. In the menu to select the network I can see both the 4G and Edge networks at are full or near to full reception but when I connect to them I never get that high reception.

I've tried changing APNs various times to a multitude of a different values (including the officials ones suggested by EE and Three) to no success.

I've tried both sim slots for all of this, no success either.

I've run some of the relevant tests via the calculator app:

• Sim Card Test: Pass
  • Sim Card2 Test: Pass
  • Sim Signal Test: Fail (Success button never appears) I'll see various things here as the mobile work connection changes: Both connected and disconnected network. Edge signal strength: 11(asu), -91(dBm), LTE signal strength: 20 (asu) -210 (dBm), LTE signal strength: -2147383509 (asu) 2147383647 (dBm). Similar signal strenth results for HSPAP.

Looking around the forum this worryingly seems to be a somewhat common issue with other Asus phones. In particular this thread seems to suggest that a recent software update broke the phone's support for the EE network, and that the only confirmed way for me to fix the problem is to get a Vodafone sim. https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/42198/update-17-0823-2009-99-broke-moblie-internet

Mobile network data issues
Sorry to hear this. I'm not having these issues and I'm on EE. Is VOLTE working for you?