This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this heat temperature is safe to use?

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog Phone 5
Firmware Version: WW_18.0830.2101.86
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Happened once gaming for aeound 30mins+
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Genshin Impact
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
- Attached with Rog AeroActive Cooler 5
- Kunai 3 Controller (So I won't touch the device and feel the heat)
- Not Charging
- X Mode + Level 3 Gaming Performance Mode
After played Genshin Impact in High Graphic mode (lower some graphic setting), the temperature of Game Genie indicator is at 50-55 degree celsius consistently.
When I touch the device it is very uncomfortable to hold with the heat, when I hold the phone close to my face like I picking up a call, even my face didn't actually touch the screen, I can actually feel the 'Heat Aura' touching my face skin.
This I kidda make me worry and concern about it, if I continuously to play Genshin in a long hours session, the rog phone 5 keep heat up as it is,
will this be very dangerous? maybe phone might 'explode', or phone will having hardware damage easily (motherboard, screen, etc)?
Or actually this is very normal and it is safe to keep maximize the performance for 1 or 2 hours session continuously?
This is my 1st gaming phone, previous phone is Google Pixel 2XL and never heat up this way as I only use the Device in a very light performance manner and never gaming. Please let me know if the current Rog Phone 5 heat situation if it is normal or not. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
1.) The temperature is only the system temperature. Your CPU and GPU aka SoC is hitting 100c and started throttling. I already made a topic about it which can be seen here: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/46253/rog-5-throttles-while-gaming#latest
2.) The phone is getting hot because the phone tries to get the heat out of the phone via 2 vapor chambers. Basicially it's designed in a way that the phone becomes the heatsink, which is quite normal. It only means the passive cooling works.
3.) While the system temperature isnt as worrysome, your other topic is an indication of upcoming issues. It won't explode but considering the drama at the rog2 subforum you'll sooner or later have black screen issues or similair and the phone will eventually die, after that you can fight ASUS for warranty repair and if you lose u'll have to pay roughly 250USD if i remember correcly for a new logicboard and some other small fees on top.
4.) The heat situation is quite normal. Unlike the other gaming phones the cooling solution in the rog5 simply isnt sufficient. The red magic 6, black shark 4 and lenovo legion dual 2 simply have way superior cooling than the rog5 has. Asus rushed the rog5 and hence the really poor design of the phone as a whole.

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
Danishblunt

1.) The temperature is only the system temperature. Your CPU and GPU aka SoC is hitting 100c and started throttling. I already made a topic about it which can be seen here: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/46253/rog-5-throttles-while-gaming#latest

2.) The phone is getting hot because the phone tries to get the heat out of the phone via 2 vapor chambers. Basicially it's designed in a way that the phone becomes the heatsink, which is quite normal. It only means the passive cooling works.

3.) While the system temperature isnt as worrysome, your other topic is an indication of upcoming issues. It won't explode but considering the drama at the rog2 subforum you'll sooner or later have black screen issues or similair and the phone will eventually die, after that you can fight ASUS for warranty repair and if you lose u'll have to pay roughly 250USD if i remember correcly for a new logicboard and some other small fees on top.

4.) The heat situation is quite normal. Unlike the other gaming phones the cooling solution in the rog5 simply isnt sufficient. The red magic 6, black shark 4 and lenovo legion dual 2 simply have way superior cooling than the rog5 has. Asus rushed the rog5 and hence the really poor design of the phone as a whole.

View post
Facts like these make me treasure my rog 3 more...

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/162166#Comment_162166

Facts like these make me treasure my rog 3 more...

View post
fact 1, 2, 4 seem applied to rog 3 isnt it? fact 3 kidda nt consider as fact as i need more time to tell if its real or not.
personally i still think rog phone 5 with the same price as rog phone 3,
the consistency of performance + quality, is better than rog phone 3

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

View post
1. kidda nt my concern at the moment, as i still having a great experience with genshin impact so far after 12hrs of gameplay with rog 5
2. glad the phone working as it is intended
3. glad it wont be hazardous, i guess time will tell if the phone is durable enough or not.
4. i kidda agreed, i still not content that the Aero Active Cooler 5 doesn't really seem have any significant cooling impact.