Sibi
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: rog 5
Firmware Version: .57
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: in low brightness at grey colors
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi team,

I noticed dc dimming is only available on 60hz..when using the 144hz option display is fine..but when using 120hz or auto mode(which cycles between various refresh rates mostly 120hz) there is greenish tint on display in low brightness on great colors...I had this green tint in my previous device realme x2pro as well...but I had dc dimming on it even on 90hz which solved this tint issue...it would be good if the dc dimming is enabled on all 120,144 and auto mode unlike just on 60hz..which technically no rog 5 user keeps it on 60hz!!!

We need dc dimming on all refresh rates and if you can add 90hz option etween 60 and 120 it would be good too
4 REPLIES 4

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
This is a technical limitation sadly, there will be no DC dimming on higher refreshrates because the screen would get completely unusable. Colors would be absolutely off and the image would look disatrous.

Sibi
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

This is a technical limitation sadly, there will be no DC dimming on higher refreshrates because the screen would get completely unusable. Colors would be absolutely off and the image would look disatrous.

View post
But my x2pro with 90hz had dc dimming and there was no issue when I used dc dimming on 90hz...is this issue you are saying only for the rog 5's panel?

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Sibi,
You had created a similar thread my colleague was supposed to reply to.
I understand the DC Dimming part but we do this to achieve the best screen experience for rog phone, 5 users. However, for any additional software request please add on the Ideas for Next section where your request and other users requesting this can share their views. Thanks.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Sibi

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177437#Comment_177437

But my x2pro with 90hz had dc dimming and there was no issue when I used dc dimming on 90hz...is this issue you are saying only for the rog 5's panel?

View post
It's not exclusive to the Rog5 panel, but yes, it's due to the panel not being able to handle DC dimming as well as other panels. Keep in mind that manufacturers pump more amps to the display in order to do DC dimming, the samsung display on the Rog5 was created with efficiency in mind, hence it obviously will struggle with DC dimming on higher refreshrates as the screen will consume more power and might even go out of spec causing some serious damage.