This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the power IC Saga continues on the Rog5!

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
notagain.jpg

For the Rog2 people this is going to be a dejavu.
5 REPLIES 5

Roystoys
Zen Master III
Danishblunt

notagain.jpg

For the Rog2 people this is going to be a dejavu.

And the power IC Saga continues on the Rog5!
What are we looking at?

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Roystoys

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62659/and-the-power-ic-saga-continues-on-the-rog5

What are we looking at?

View post
You can see on the image there is an arrow i drew pointing at the power IC, there you can see it literally burned a hole into the chip.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/222140#Comment_222140

You can see on the image there is an arrow i drew pointing at the power IC, there you can see it literally burned a hole into the chip.

View post
It's not normal, there really is a wolf on the power supply circuit, the PM8150b and SMB1396 pair for QC5 supports up to 100w and 300°, I haven't seen this chipset burned out on the different brands that use the same circuit.and ( RT1715 for USB-PD)
At the same time, it is true that for 30 years I have never had such strange behavior of the charging system, I had swollen batteries but knowing the cause, vehicle charge + GPS + full sun or replaceable battery low cost.
Like some other manufacturers for 60w and + charges, there is a remote part on the charger, the dialogue must be perfect and on the ROG 5 this is far from the case, between the bottom port, the side, on , off, standby and the type of charger is the lottery, it is better to be equipped with a good usb-controller between the phone and the charger, but the bugs are rather under request to the charger, never seen one overload request.
At the same time, the sources of the charging circuit puzzles me, there are several sections added specifically to diagnose and log the status of Wifi and Hotspot, being analyzed to stop charging if Wifi is out of order
//ASUS_BSP --- LiJen add to print the WIFI hotspot & QXDM UTS event
*/ //porting-
In short, why it burns remains such a mystery on the presence of the Wifi / Hotspot sections.
Note that the chipsets are identical on ROG6, I have not yet finalized a comparison of sources but it is very similar

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FunBike31

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/222162#Comment_222162

It's not normal, there really is a wolf on the power supply circuit, the PM8150b and SMB1396 pair for QC5 supports up to 100w and 300°, I haven't seen this chipset burned out on the different brands that use the same circuit.and ( RT1715 for USB-PD)

At the same time, it is true that for 30 years I have never had such strange behavior of the charging system, I had swollen batteries but knowing the cause, vehicle charge + GPS + full sun or replaceable battery low cost.

Like some other manufacturers for 60w and + charges, there is a remote part on the charger, the dialogue must be perfect and on the ROG 5 this is far from the case, between the bottom port, the side, on , off, standby and the type of charger is the lottery, it is better to be equipped with a good usb-controller between the phone and the charger, but the bugs are rather under request to the charger, never seen one overload request.

At the same time, the sources of the charging circuit puzzles me, there are several sections added specifically to diagnose and log the status of Wifi and Hotspot, being analyzed to stop charging if Wifi is out of order

//ASUS_BSP --- LiJen add to print the WIFI hotspot & QXDM UTS event

*/ //porting-

In short, why it burns remains such a mystery on the presence of the Wifi / Hotspot sections.

Note that the chipsets are identical on ROG6, I have not yet finalized a comparison of sources but it is very similar

View post
for QC5 supports up to 100w and 300°,
I assume its 300fahrenheit since I don't really see that chip being able to withstand 300c without falling off the board.
I'm pretty sure we already tested it. Remember we had USB meters connected to the Rog5 and saw how the voltage fluctuated between 12v and 20v, which is BAD, like REALLY BAD. There has been some changes in the firmware regarding how the Rog 3 charges, I didn't check the Rog5.
But that ASUS doesnt seem to have anything to protect the charging IC is strange to say the least.
Considering how similair the Rog6 is to the Rog5 I wouldn't blame you for thinking it's basicially the same circut design.