This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, there is this black crush/banding issue still to be resolved before we forget

ajinkya017
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3
Firmware Version: .133
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
The only one major issue that plagues this device remains unaddressed. The nature of replies to this question have been diplomatic and in many of the cases they have gone unanswered. When is the display going to be fixed? Everyone has been patient enough i believe to get a lowdown on what is going to be done. The treatment this subject has received is unacceptable.
@Anders_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @ARP
PS: Also i have been to the service center, the people there aren't aware of the issue. My display has been replaced due to another defect. The problem persists. I don't want to keep on changing displays when the fix isn't based on the hardware.
22 REPLIES 22

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ARP_ASUS

Hi All,

I have been asking everyone facing Black crush or display color issues to visit the service center.

If there is no help provided please mention accordingly here.

View post
You can't be serious.
@Anders_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS
Guys, stop this madness, this mod is sending people with a software issue to waste the customers and the service centers time.

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Danish,
I understand and have discussed this with the Mods you have mentioned above. Also, the solution you have provided I am aware of it.
It is for users who don't want to wait and want a faster resolution. There is a service process for the same.

BPM
Rising Star II
ARP_ASUS

Hi All,

I have been asking everyone facing Black crush or display color issues to visit the service center.

If there is no help provided please mention accordingly here.

View post
Mate, this is not a hardware issue, and no amount of repairs/replacements will fix it (and for someone like me in the US, there's no ASUS repair centers nearby).
This is entirely a software issue, with how the screen is calibrated. The only way this could be fixed by ASUS is with a software update that corrects the screen calibration. The only alternative for us to fix it ourselves is to unlock the phone and install a custom kernel (which presents several challenges there).
In my honest opinion, the ROG Phone 3 is almost phone perfection (for my needs, at least). The only real issue with it is the bloody screen calibration.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ARP_ASUS

Hi Danish,

I understand and have discussed this with the Mods you have mentioned above. Also, the solution you have provided I am aware of it.

It is for users who don't want to wait and want a faster resolution. There is a service process for the same.

View post
No amount of swapping the display will fix anything. It's entirely software related, even if you were to somehow make a samsung panel from the Rog5 work, it would still be a disaster.
To illustrate how futile it is to send people to the service center, imagine you owning a taxi business, you have 1 guy who simply cannot drive straight, everyone complains about him not driving straight, instead of replacing the driver, you replace his car, guess what, people will still complain and tell you that it's a nightmare to drive with him.
Without a software update the screen will always look like a mess, same as your tacxi driver will always make people uncomfortable without you replacing him,

maximumsid
Star III
The Black Crush is still a problematic thing, and I am surprised none of the major Youtubers talked about it in their review. At 144Hz, the contrast is so shifted that it's just unusable, so I always keep the phone at 90Hz, and even there, the black crush issue is present. It's so unfortunate, as otherwise, the phone has been perfect. I wish Asus at least provided way to calibrate the screen in software, so users advanced users with differing panels could've adjusted the base black level according to their panel, which may have helped in getting rid of it.
Nowadays, I've just conditioned myself to ignore this as there is no other option.