Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 3 hasn't gotten any updates since May 2020

zarifryan94
Star II
screenshot-20210527-192905766.png
screenshot-20210527-192921079.png
screenshot-20210527-193824953.png
Edit: I have included hardware version screenshot as well.
So I recently bought the phone it's been 2 weeks. I bought it brand new, and am the first owner. I have included the software version and build number in the screenshots. Can someone tell me why I've never received any updates as the phone came with the May 2020 security patch.. and none after that? Everytime I check for updates it says I'm on the latest version. Yet I see other users with newer security patches from 2021 while mine is stuck at may 1st 2020.
Please help, how can I update my phone?

Also what variant do I have? Is mine the global version, Chinese version, etc?

Thanks.

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

7 REPLIES 7

BPM
Rising Star II
Does your phone say "Tencent Games" on the back? If so, it's the Chinese model flashed with the worldwide ROM. Unfortunately, it won't be able to get OTA updates. However, I do believe you can still manually update it by downloading the updates from Asus's support site.
rog.asus.com/phones/rog-phone-3-model/helpdesk_download
While you can get the Chinese variants A LOT cheaper than the international variants... there are issues in doing so, like this.

zarifryan94
Star II
BPM

Does your phone say "Tencent Games" on the back? If so, it's the Chinese model flashed with the worldwide ROM. Unfortunately, it won't be able to get OTA updates. However, I do believe you can still manually update it by downloading the updates from Asus's support site.

rog.asus.com/phones/rog-phone-3-model/helpdesk_download

While you can get the Chinese variants A LOT cheaper than the international variants... there are issues in doing so, like this.

View post
Hey no it doesn't say tencent games in the back.. I don't think it's the tencent version.

BPM
Rising Star II
Thanks. If it says "Republic of Gamers" on the back, then it should be one of the international variants, and should be able to get OTA updates. Strange.
I would suggest downloading CPU-Z (or other such apps) and find out exactly which model you have. For example, my phone is model ASUS-I003D.
screenshot-20210527-103217424.png
Either way, you can still manually update your phone.

zarifryan94
Star II
BPM

Thanks. If it says "Republic of Gamers" on the back, then it should be one of the international variants, and should be able to get OTA updates. Strange.

I would suggest downloading CPU-Z (or other such apps) and find out exactly which model you have. For example, my phone is model ASUS-I003D.

screenshot-20210527-103217424.png

Either way, you can still manually update your phone.

View post
Hey I have the same model as you, and yea I updated manually to the latest version. Is OTA gonna work now or I still have to manually update Everytime?