ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

sevillaken
Star II
This phone is becoming shitty with its display. Black crush cant be fixed anymore

Dawgy
Star II
With the new update the black crush issue is still there it feels like nothing is change or fix. If the black crush issue will not be fixed then this will be my first and last rog phone. It is a big down for me for buying this flagship phone. Hope this could be fix asus.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
sevillaken

This phone is becoming shitty with its display. Black crush cant be fixed anymore

View post
Wrong, it's software. The black crush you're experiencing is due to piss poor SDR to HDR conversion. Try to find a dark movie scene and watch it on full brightness SDR ("normal"). you'll notice black crush and pixalation, however if you find the exact same scene in HDR, all issues are magicially gone.

zainkim2019
Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115702#Comment_115702

No, what he's saying is that the issue is very complex and not easily fixable. All OLED's suffer from this (not only phones, also TV's), without exception. The only real fix you could possibly offer is very advanced screen calibration that each user has to do on their own, because even with the same panel, each individual panel might need slightly different settings to function 100% and with that even 100 settings based on each individual brightness setting to eliminate black crush entirely. Simply due to the fact that each OLED screen needs different settings in itself is already an impossibility to create a 100% working global solution without the user themselves fixing it.

View post
User fixing it by themselves after paying 1k dollars? U gotta be kidding me....... Paying for a trash and fix it by yourself? And oh after you tuned your phones color balance just to eliminate black crush on batmans trailer u need another tuning cuz black crush shows up on other videos with dark environment. Its like you need to tweak your screen balance on every movie or videos that you watch.... And after watching videos you see red tint everywhere from Apps UI to your phone settings.... bravo

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
zainkim2019

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115721#Comment_115721

User fixing it by themselves after paying 1k dollars? U gotta be kidding me....... Paying for a trash and fix it by yourself? And oh after you tuned your phones color balance just to eliminate black crush on batmans trailer u need another tuning cuz black crush shows up on other videos with dark environment. Its like you need to tweak your screen balance on every movie or videos that you watch.... And after watching videos you see red tint everywhere from Apps UI to your phone settings.... bravo

View post
As it's very clear you don't really understand how technology works let me enlighten you.
The calibration wouldn't work depending on scene or movie, but on brightness setting. Meaning if you eliminate all black crush on 50% brightness with proper settings, all dark scenes are "fixed". Professional devices such as the Sony HX 310 which costs 40.000USD still need hand calibrating as well, this is simply how displays work.
The reason black crush is happening isn't Asus's, Oneplus's or Samsung's fault, the reason black crush is happening is simply because these panels are way to good. Ironicly the panels are able to display so much color, that watching SDR content which is typical on youtube will cause black crush thanks to terrible conversion.
The OLED screens misinterpret colors from SDR content causing these effects to happen. Asus, OP and Samsung are trying to workaround these issues caused by google by playing with gamma settings.
If you want proof, open your youtube application on your phone, type "joker interrogation scene" on youtube, there is 1 video with HDR and another without. You'll notice how the HDR version will have no black crush whatsoever while the SDR version has black crush.
If you want to vent out your anger to someone, then do it at google, blame them for having insufficient conversion and making applications inconsistend by adding a stupid transparent layer to try and workaround true blacks causing black crush. If you watch any SDR content on youtube and rotate your device you'll see how the dark grey is turning real black for a split second as the overlay from google is disabled and reenabled for the rotated mode.