This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick fix for black crush issue if updates didn't work for you

dtrapero
Star III
If you have recently installed the 17.0823.2007.58 or the newest 17.0823.2008.70 and still have the black crush issue, then you have to try this:
The app is called screen balance and you can find it in google play. Just install it, give all permissions, including run over other apps, and set the bars like this:
first bar: fluorescent
second bar: 50%
third bar: 100%
fourth bar: 0%
After that just press the switch in the top part and DON'T CLOSE THE APP. The black crush should be less noticeable in relatively lower brightness. If it didn't work for you in 50% on second bar then try 55%, 60%, 65%, 70% or 75% until you feel comfortable. higher than 75% will result in black looking like in LCD screens.
As you can see the black crush issue in this phone is a software bug, not hardware. We just have to wait for the devs to do something.
And dear devs, this is fixable. Please take care of your community. Many people have spent their well earned money on your products and an issue from this magnitude is unacceptable. I understand that this issue is present in almost every OLED panel, but please do you best to reduce it as much as you can.
And also notice, this is a temporary fix, which means not permanent. Don't get mad at me
11 REPLIES 11

mkljn_com
Star II
odel Name: Asus Rog Phone 3

Firmware Version: 17.0823.2008.70

Rooted or not: NOT

Frequency of Occurrence: ALWAYS

APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Youtube, Prime Video, Sony Liv

I bought Asus Rog phone 3 on 29th Sept. I got the latest update in my first boot only. 

True blacks are not there while playing video on online platforms like Youtube, Prime Video, Netflix, etc. I tested many apps. Among them, one waas MX player. I tested online videos on MX Player and surprisingly they were working absolutely fine (no black crush issue). But black crush issue persists on every other apps even after the update. 

Solution:

I enabled "Disable HW Overlays" option in Developer Mode. The black crush issue solved completely in every app. But since the screen composition is now being handled by GPU, I faced inaccurate color in many 4k HDR videos on youtube. 

You guys may also try enabling the option. It will solve your black crush issue but with its own side-effects. 

So, the display quality isn't at par and I want a confirmation from ASUS or developer community that it can be resolved 100% via OTA update. 

My Question:

Since I have a window of mere 4 days to file a return, should I return the phone? Please help. 

John_p
Rising Star I
mkljn.com

APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Youtube, Prime Video, Sony Liv

I bought Asus Rog phone 3 on 29th Sept. I got the latest update in my first boot only. 

True blacks are not there while playing video on online platforms like Youtube, Prime Video, Netflix, etc. I tested many apps. Among them, one waas MX player. I tested online videos on MX Player and surprisingly they were working absolutely fine (no black crush issue). But black crush issue persists on every other apps even after the update. 

Solution:

I enabled "Disable HW Overlays" option in Developer Mode. The black crush issue solved completely in every app. But since the screen composition is now being handled by GPU, I faced inaccurate color in many 4k HDR videos on youtube. 

You guys may also try enabling the option. It will solve your black crush issue but with its own side-effects. 

So, the display quality isn't at par and I want a confirmation from ASUS or developer community that it can be resolved 100% via OTA update. 

My Question:

Since I have a window of mere 4 days to file a return, should I return the phone? Please help. 

View post
If it's very very bad then return it . But if it's hardly there then it'll get solved through an update . My phone has improved considerably with fota updates . I'm using it for 2 months almost bought it in the first sale and the 3-4 updated that have come have reduced it in my phone . It's not completely gone but reducing so it's your call .

raffy122890
Star II
ASUS should really put a team to solve this problem or this will be a downfall for their smart phone industry.

GhostRecon
Rising Star I
mkljn.com

Solution:

My Question:

View post
It seems working. But how come?