Craven
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3 12/512GB Global
Firmware Version: WW_17.0823.2008.78
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I got my phone last month and updated it to the .50 firmware. At first, I didn't notice any signs of black crush when watching videos (except while watching Dababy's BET awards rockstar, there was some pixelation on darker scenes). ZERO red tint issues also, everything was kinda ok. Then .58 went live and i skipped that because of the complaints from multiple users. Updated straight to .78 after a few days of release and did a factory reset to make sure i don't get the issues other users have been facing like battery drain, worse black crush and red tint and so far, I'm not getting the battery drain at all but the black crush and red tint are definitely there now. The black crush totally crushed my expectations for this phone, i tried to watch PewDiePie's "until dawn" gameplays and boy, it felt like i was watching 720p and 144p at the same time. Pixelation everywhere! Right now, the only things i can watch are basically cartoons. PUBGM Gameplays, Anime, and other brightly colored animations since they don't show different shades of blacks in a frame that much often. And also, i notice the red tint the most on YouTube at low brightness (25% below/the lower the brightness, the stronger the red gets). Everytime I launch the app, the screen changes color and turns reddish with the black-themed YouTube. Once i exit the app, the screen returns to normal. Again, only happens on low brightness. I tried to test it on MX Player if it's affected too but it's not. Only YouTube gets the red tint. I don't know how the devs are tackling the issues but i hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise, I'll just forget i bought this for the purpose of watching movies too, not just gaming.
2 REPLIES 2

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
Black Crush explained ( Rog3 / OP 8 )
Check that post, for me I go to developer mode, turn on disable HW overlay, basically it will now go back to original screen state.
I had similar experience, my original screen was better

Craven
Rising Star II
hank_email_is

Black Crush explained ( Rog3 / OP 8 )

Check that post, for me I go to developer mode, turn on disable HW overlay, basically it will now go back to original screen state.

I had similar experience, my original screen was better

View post
Any downsides for this temporary fix?