mohammed98221
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZS661KS 
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi all,
apologies if this has been asked to death. I have found some conflicting info around the web.
I have a few questions regarding the Tencent version of the Rog 3 (8/128 GB strix). As you know most of the ones available on ebay are Tencent versions with global rom installed. Here are my questions:
1) Do they receive ota updates? Do you need to change fingerprint to get ota?
2) Do apps like netflix, google pay and banking apps work? I saw a post from a US person who said their banking apps worked on the Chinese rom version.
There are few international versions available on ebay but the price difference is huge! I don't mind having to flash roms etc if it is possible to get either ota working or I can download updates from Asus site and manually update and also if it gets banking apps/google pay working. Has anyone had experience with these issues?
I live in the UK btw.
Cheers.
8 REPLIES 8

xihe
Rising Star II
1) You will not receive FOTA update. Manual update via Asus website is needed.
2) Yes if the conversion is done properly. All will work.
If you are living in the UK, check to make sure network bands of the tencent sets will work in UK. These are the bands.
5G (Bands N41, N77, N78, N79)
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28)
TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
WCDMA (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 😎
EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
CDMA (Bands BC0) (CN and HK only)
TD-SCDMA (Bands 34, 38) (CN and HK only)

mohammed98221
Star III
xihe

1) You will not receive FOTA update. Manual update via Asus website is needed.

2) Yes if the conversion is done properly. All will work.

View post
Thanks.
For 2) Is CN to WW rom enough for these apps to work or will the fingerprint will also need to be changed to ww? As far as I can tell the sellers are changing the rom to ww but not sure about fingerprint.

xihe
Rising Star II
It is best to change the fingerprint to WW as well, doing so will guarantee google pay, banking app and Netflix will work.

xihe
Rising Star II
When I had my tencent set, I waited until the proper conversion was available before converting to global ROM. Before that I was using the original Chinese ROM without doing any update.
I sold the tencent set when the global version was released in my country and went ahead to purchase the real global set as I needed the full network bands for overseas travel.