cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus G15 Goes Into Hibernate Randomly

IAlsoCook
Star I

Hello! 

I have a ROG Zephyrus G15 with the specifications listed below. I am seeing an issue where the computer will randomly either automatically go into a hibernation mode or restart. While is it somewhat "random", I have noticed that it only does this while the lid is shut (laptop display turned off) and connected to an external monitor. It happens more often if I try to run a game (happens Call of Duty MW2 every time I load it) but recently it's been occurring with low CPU/GPU usage tasks like web browsing or working in Excel or Word. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the CPU/GPU overheating and shutting off to protect itself maybe but I didn't really see anything in the log files that would support that theory. I've updated BIOS, GPU, Windows, etc. but nothing seems to resolve the issue. I've even disabled Hibernation mode in regedit but it still continues to happen. Any advice? 

Also, the fan on this computer will randomly spin like crazy sometimes when starting up the computer and stay on the highest RPM until I turn off the computer. The only way I've found to solve this is to do a shut down and turn the computer back on. This has happened randomly since day 1 but I haven't been able to figure out what causes it. My friend has the same laptop and the same issue happens to him as well. Any ideas on how to fix that as well? 

OS: Win11, Version: 10.0.22621, Model: ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR_GA503QR, Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS, SMBIOS:3.3, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU

Thanks,

Michael

3 REPLIES 3

Falcon_ASUS

@IAlsoCook 
If you enter safe mode and try to reproduce the problem according to your previous operations, will the problem still occur? 
If the problem still occurs, it means that the system itself has a problem. It is recommended that you back up your data and recovery the system.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.
 [Windows 11/10] How to enter Safe Mode 
[Windows 11/10] How to reset the PC and remove all of my personal files, apps and settings 

Is there a way to display on multiple monitors while in safe mode? When I enter safe mode it only allows me to display on the laptop monitor. The issue only occurs when the laptop display is off and I am displaying on a secondary monitor. 

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.