Star I
System: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16
Battery or AC: AC
Model: GU603ZM
Frequency of occurrence: all the time
Reset OS: not applicable
Screenshot or video: none at this time
========================
Detailed description:Hi everyone, I can't seem to install Win10 on blank SSD from bootable USB flash drive I created on my mac (this is the only computer I have available).
The laptop boots from USB drive, Windows setup starts, then it lets me select the language, enter product key, and choose upgrade or custom installation (I chose the latter). Then I can see my SSD drive and create required partitions. When I select the biggest partition (3) and format it, install gives me this error:
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"
Which sounds funny, because it just created the partition. It can see the partitions, and diskpart utility also can, but it refuses to install on that partition, even though it is formatted, empty and has enough space (I have 1Tb SSD). Same happens when I try to install Windows 11.
The SSD is Samsung MZVL21 T0HCLR-00B00.
VMD controller and secure boot are both disabled in BIOS. (With VMD enabled it asks for IRST driver, but the issue remains either way).
Can anyone help me? I've tried searching for solution and I found similar problem on MS site, but it didn't help. Sorry, It doesn't let me post links here, but the idea is to use diskpart util to create GPT disk and partition it. It didn't work for me: I can create the partitions, but Windows setup still refuses to install with the same error.
Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Falcon_ASUS
Artem872
  1. System: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: GU603ZM
  4. Frequency of occurrence: all the time
  5. Reset OS: not applicable
  6. Screenshot or video: none at this time

========================

Detailed description:Hi everyone, I can't seem to install Win10 on blank SSD from bootable USB flash drive I created on my mac (this is the only computer I have available).

The laptop boots from USB drive, Windows setup starts, then it lets me select the language, enter product key, and choose upgrade or custom installation (I chose the latter). Then I can see my SSD drive and create required partitions. When I select the biggest partition (3) and format it, install gives me this error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

Which sounds funny, because it just created the partition. It can see the partitions, and diskpart utility also can, but it refuses to install on that partition, even though it is formatted, empty and has enough space (I have 1Tb SSD). Same happens when I try to install Windows 11.

The SSD is Samsung MZVL21 T0HCLR-00B00.

VMD controller and secure boot are both disabled in BIOS. (With VMD enabled it asks for IRST driver, but the issue remains either way).

Can anyone help me? I've tried searching for solution and I found similar problem on MS site, but it didn't help. Sorry, It doesn't let me post links here, but the idea is to use diskpart util to create GPT disk and partition it. It didn't work for me: I can create the partitions, but Windows setup still refuses to install with the same error.

Thank you.

Installing Win10/11 on Zephyrus M16 - "We couldn't locate a partition" error
@Artem872
Please refer to the following FAQ for troubleshooting.
[Windows 11/10] How to create and use installation media to reinstall Windows 11/10 via USB drive | ...[Notebook/AIO] Troubleshooting - How to fix the problem that cannot find drives when installing Wind...Thank you.

Artem872
Star I
Thank you Falcon_ASUS, I already did that, and it didn't helped. If you notice, in my case it indeed can find the drive and even create partitions. Turns out the issue was in the USB flash drive I created on my Mac. It does boot properly, but for some reason Windows setup didn't like the partitions it created.
In case anyone wonders, the problem was resolved after I got another USB flash drive, with the same Windows image, but created by Windows PC.
TL;DR: don't use Mac to create installation media, even though it is possible. It takes a Windows PC to make another Windows PC 😉
Thank you.