Did you mean: 

i5 8300H speed on FX504GE throttling to base frequency and lower

System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Description: Severe Power Throttling locks CPU speed to base
Model: ASUS TUF FX504GE
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No

Last edited by richie.patnaik on 2019/10/27 18:02 I have an ASUS TUF FX504GE with i5 8300H and a 1050Ti. My problem is the CPU speed throttling. All PC games run fine, but when I try to run a CPU intensive program like RPCS3 emulator, the CPU speed locks itself to base speed (2.29 GHz, and lower at times), after about 2 minutes of the program running, and refuses to use turbo speed. How do I force the CPU to run at turbo speed? Throttlestop limits window shows VR Thermal in red for all 3 things, and other reasons in yellow are Thermal, PL2, and EDP Other. I can't undervolt more than -135mv, and the cinebench scores are disastrously low (300 to 600cb).The CPU keeps forcibly downclocking itself and refusing to go above base speed even when CPU is getting taxed. Please tell me some way to fix the CPU speed throttling and extremely high temps (80 to 90 degrees). Should I just use thermal pads/paste and a clean up? And isn't there any possibility for a BIOS update to remove the TDP limit that keeps locking the CPU speed?
13 REPLIES 13

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
use Msconfig option ,to utilize all processor cores

Last edited by richie.patnaik on 2019/11/1 00:35
RAJU2529 posted on 2019/10/31 16:41 use Msconfig option ,to utilize all processor cores
I tried that. It still forcibly down clocks after sometime

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello richie.patnaik, May I know which BIOS and VGA driver version are you using now? and throttling issue only occur when using this "RPCS3 emulator" ? Thank you.

Last edited by richie.patnaik on 2019/11/9 09:36
blake_ASUS posted on 2019/11/1 11:19 Hello richie.patnaik, May I know which BIOS and VGA driver version are you using now? and throttling ...
I'm using bios version 318, and the VGA (Nvidia 1050Ti) is on the latest drivers (441.12). This throttling issue happens in all programs, causing the clock speeds to go 2.3ghz and well below it, like 1.6ghz and lesser. It is completely crippling my laptop's performance. I have applied thermal paste and cleaned up laptop, but this keeps happening. The VR Thermals on the Motherboard keep overheating and causing forced down clocks. Please help!