This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility Asus FX516PM with Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock

SKyRo
Star II

Hello! Will Asus TUF Dash F15 FX516PM work with Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AC)? I don't need a PD, just connect two monitors, keyboard, mouse and external drive 🙂

Laptop: https://www.asus.com/ru/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/2021-asus-tuf-dash-f15

Dock: https://shop.lenovo.ru/product/40AC0135EU/spec/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SKyRo
Star II

Yesterday I received the docking station.

There are nuances (below), but it fully works.

IMG_20230114_153839.jpg

Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 1 (40AC) is fully compatible with Asus TUF Dash F15 FX516PM via USB-C port supporting Thunderbolt 4, DisplayPort 1.4 and PD 100W.

It works great with both Windows 11 Pro and Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Nuances:

I received a USB-C 3.1 cable in the kit. Which limits the bandwidth to 10Gbps and does not seem to support PD 100W.

What problems did I encounter:

1. The docking station constantly reconnected, and sometimes it was not detected. Sometimes connected after 5-10 minutes.

Solution: Buy a new certified Thunderbolt 3/4 cable with PD 100W. I just swapped the ends of the USB-C 3.1 wires and now it is stably detected even before loading the OC (I make the OS selection in Grub with the keyboard connected via the docking station).

2. If you do not connect the laptop's power supply, the monitors start to reconnect (black screen, flashing). It is very likely that this is due to the fact that the consumption through the PD increases, 100W in the case of a laptop whose power supply is more powerful than 99W (200W for FX516PM). And the cable becomes unstable under such loads.

Solution: Perhaps buy a new certified Thunderbolt 3/4 cable with PD 100W. Or use a laptop power supply 🙂

Now I have ordered and am waiting for a Thunderbolt 4 cable from ORICO, I will add it in a month or two months.

IMG_20230114_153425.jpg

IMG_20230114_153446.jpg

IMG_20230114_153446.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS

The Thunderbolt specifications of FX516PM are as follows, but we haven't tested two external monitors. 

Thunderbolt display max. resolution,frequency Support DP1.4
4K (4096x2160), 120Hz
8K (7680x4320), 60Hz
Thunderbolt version Thunderbolt 4

I have the same problem but I have the latest bios (322 for FX516PM).
After about 10 minutes of reconnection, it still connects to both windows and ubuntu.
And also, very often, if you turn on the laptop while the docking station is connected, the laptop freezes forever on the Asus logo.

https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/others/thunderbolt-docking-station-connectivity-issues/m-p/125667

When will the bios update for the FX516 series be available? Obviously, the problem is in bios, because the situation is the same with different docking stations. The docking station works great with other laptops.

UPD: Use with laptop power supply and just swapped the ends of the USB-C 3.1 wires and now it is stably detected even before loading the OC (I make the OS selection in Grub with the keyboard connected via the docking station).

SKyRo
Star II

Yesterday I received the docking station.

There are nuances (below), but it fully works.

IMG_20230114_153839.jpg

Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 1 (40AC) is fully compatible with Asus TUF Dash F15 FX516PM via USB-C port supporting Thunderbolt 4, DisplayPort 1.4 and PD 100W.

It works great with both Windows 11 Pro and Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Nuances:

I received a USB-C 3.1 cable in the kit. Which limits the bandwidth to 10Gbps and does not seem to support PD 100W.

What problems did I encounter:

1. The docking station constantly reconnected, and sometimes it was not detected. Sometimes connected after 5-10 minutes.

Solution: Buy a new certified Thunderbolt 3/4 cable with PD 100W. I just swapped the ends of the USB-C 3.1 wires and now it is stably detected even before loading the OC (I make the OS selection in Grub with the keyboard connected via the docking station).

2. If you do not connect the laptop's power supply, the monitors start to reconnect (black screen, flashing). It is very likely that this is due to the fact that the consumption through the PD increases, 100W in the case of a laptop whose power supply is more powerful than 99W (200W for FX516PM). And the cable becomes unstable under such loads.

Solution: Perhaps buy a new certified Thunderbolt 3/4 cable with PD 100W. Or use a laptop power supply 🙂

Now I have ordered and am waiting for a Thunderbolt 4 cable from ORICO, I will add it in a month or two months.

IMG_20230114_153425.jpg

IMG_20230114_153446.jpg

IMG_20230114_153446.jpg

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.