This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant manually change ram timings on ASUS FX53V

Allyrats
Star I

Trying to upgrade the laptop but it will not boot with new ram. I know the ram I have is faster than the CPU can handel. but I cant see any option in the bios to manually set the speeds lower.

this means the laptop is kneecapped when trying to upgrade as all large sticks of ram avaliable also run at a speed higher than the cpu can handel.

I have BIOS GL553VD.308 which I understand is the latest bios, but the option is still not there, that or I am blind. I would love for someone to say I am blind and the option is there.

when looking at ASUS support it is designed for a diferent bios

4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS

@Allyrats
The memory specification for your laptop is DDR4 2400 SO-D 16GB 260P * 2.
If you install memory with a higher clock rate, we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

I can tell you it works with 32GB sticks as I have it running with one of them at the moment. 
I could use "Thaiphoon" to change the ram speed down to 2400 since its not an option in the bios but unfortunately the BIOS is also has the SPD Write Disable setting in ASUS's BIOS is currently set to "True", which prevents Thaiphoon Burner from being able to write to the SPD EEPROM.

this means while the computer is completely capable of running 32GB sticks but the BIOS is set to make it basically not an option. 
If I could get a copy of the source code for the BIOS I could probably re-write it to fix this issue. 
normally I think of ASUS as a very good brand but this ability to set ram timings being completely missing from the BIOS as well as the ability to modify the ram being disabled in the BIOS ruins the potential of this Laptop. one of the big selling features in the beginning was how well this could be upgraded.

originally this computer had a cheap HDD and 8GB of Ram, now it has a NVME drive, and 2 Sata SSD's and 40GB of Ram. running the 8GB and the 32GB stick as this forces the 32GB stick to run slower.

hopefully I can get another computer to write to the ram and lower the speed. most of the hardware you are able to install newer better things when they come out, such as Storage, never thought I would be limited in the ram because of a software issue. hardware I completely understand.

@Allyrats
Unfortunately, the BIOS of the laptop's motherboard is different from the BIOS of the component motherboard.
In order to ensure system stability, sometimes not all configurable options are enabled for users to modify.
As for this laptop, it has two memory slots. So, as I mentioned earlier, the specifications I provided to you are DDR4 2400 SO-D 16GB 260P * 2.
(There are 2 RAM slot on this model, each support up to 16GB, so total would be 32GB.)
If this has caused any misunderstanding, I apologize for the inconvenience.

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.