asus tuf fa506qm bios 311 can't use second ssd drive

albertoha_bu
Star I
System: Windows 11
Battery or AC: both
Model: fa506qm
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: Apart from being a different model of laptop, it is the same issue (and drive) that happens in this thread https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62335/ssd-visible-in-bios-but-not-on-windows
========================
Detailed description:I have been using the 2 drives in this laptop without issue, until the other day that windows update updated the bios to version 311. Right after that, the second drive stopped showing in windows and bios.
Reseating the drive made it appear on bios on the first reboot, but once logged into windows it didn't show anywhere anymore, not on windows or bios. I did notice that the windows' provided driver for nvme drives in the missing drive was showing an initializacion error that disappear after instaling the micron driver
I tried to reinstall the bios update but with the same results. I had to reinstall version 310 to fix it.
12 REPLIES 12

Falcon_ASUS
albertoha_bu
  1. System: Windows 11
  2. Battery or AC: both
  3. Model: fa506qm
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always
  5. Reset OS: No
  6. Screenshot or video: Apart from being a different model of laptop, it is the same issue (and drive) that happens in this thread https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62335/ssd-visible-in-bios-but-not-on-windows

========================

Detailed description:I have been using the 2 drives in this laptop without issue, until the other day that windows update updated the bios to version 311. Right after that, the second drive stopped showing in windows and bios.

Reseating the drive made it appear on bios on the first reboot, but once logged into windows it didn't show anywhere anymore, not on windows or bios. I did notice that the windows' provided driver for nvme drives in the missing drive was showing an initializacion error that disappear after instaling the micron driver

I tried to reinstall the bios update but with the same results. I had to reinstall version 310 to fix it.

asus tuf fa506qm bios 311 can't use second ssd drive
@albertoha_bu
Could you please provide me the pictures of the SSD in the system and BIOS?
Did the problem improve after you flashed the BIOS back to version 310?
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

krta
Star I
The same case with me today. Windows 10 auto updated overnight (BIOS 311) and second nvme disk disappeared.
Disk was fully visible in BIOS.
Invisible in Windows 10, including disk management.
Device Manager reported problem with MVMe controller.
After reverting to 310 via EZ Flash 3 Utility the problem is fixed.

Falcon_ASUS
krta

The same case with me today. Windows 10 auto updated overnight (BIOS 311) and second nvme disk disappeared.

Disk was fully visible in BIOS.

Invisible in Windows 10, including disk management.

Device Manager reported problem with MVMe controller.

After reverting to 310 via EZ Flash 3 Utility the problem is fixed.

View post
@krta
I will forward the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

Xscaper
Star I
Same issue, Windows Update updated BIOS to 311 and SSD disapeared. 2021 ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506QM