Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Flow SHUT OFF ISSUE CANT TURN BACK ON

Kevin_Costa
Star I
Good Afternoon Everyone.
Model Number: GZ301ZE-DS91-CA
I have had major issues with my laptop this past 2 days.
While playing games my laptop would shut off, its not that hot, and it shuts off. No warning nothing. Im not running any intensive and it shuts off.
When I say it "shuts off" I mean everything closes, fans stop, done. Nothing. Black Screen. I try to turn it on, the keyboard lights up, no fan...... Doesnt boot, just black screen. Do it multiple times. Try holding the power button for 40 seconds, nothing. Then once the keyboard kept lighting on and off for 10 minutes until I unplugged it where it stopped. It doesnt turn on for 20 mins. After I can finally turn it back on, I go on fortnite on performance mode, 5 mins later, shuts off. Black Screen. Im currently typing on it but It probably wont be on for much longer.

I cant almost use my laptop anymore without it shutting off. It is a major issue. I have never done anything stupid to it. Almost new. Got it in May-June. So almost new. Need it for school.

Any Suggestions/Ideas are REALLY appreciated. Thanks and have a good night to you all.
11 REPLIES 11

Falcon_ASUS
Kevin Costa

Good Afternoon Everyone.

Model Number: GZ301ZE-DS91-CA

I have had major issues with my laptop this past 2 days.

While playing games my laptop would shut off, its not that hot, and it shuts off. No warning nothing. Im not running any intensive and it shuts off.

When I say it "shuts off" I mean everything closes, fans stop, done. Nothing. Black Screen. I try to turn it on, the keyboard lights up, no fan...... Doesnt boot, just black screen. Do it multiple times. Try holding the power button for 40 seconds, nothing. Then once the keyboard kept lighting on and off for 10 minutes until I unplugged it where it stopped. It doesnt turn on for 20 mins. After I can finally turn it back on, I go on fortnite on performance mode, 5 mins later, shuts off. Black Screen. Im currently typing on it but It probably wont be on for much longer.

I cant almost use my laptop anymore without it shutting off. It is a major issue. I have never done anything stupid to it. Almost new. Got it in May-June. So almost new. Need it for school.

Any Suggestions/Ideas are REALLY appreciated. Thanks and have a good night to you all.

ASUS ROG Flow SHUT OFF ISSUE CANT TURN BACK ON
@Kevin Costa
Please refer to the following FAQ for troubleshooting.
[Notebook/Desktop/AIO] Troubleshooting - How to fix the auto Shutdown/Restart problem | Official Sup...Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

willjoe2442
Star III
First, make sure to disconnect all the cables and drivers connected to the laptop. Start by doing a hard reboot: Unplug the AC adapter, then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then, try booting it up again. Next is to try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up or not.

Regards,
Will

Kevin_Costa
Star I
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/64201/asus-rog-flow-shut-off-issue-cant-turn-back-on

@Kevin Costa

Please refer to the following FAQ for troubleshooting.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046480/

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
Thank you for leaving a message. I'm doing an update right now, if that doesn't work than I will try to do the things in that link. It would have to be later because I am going to school soon.

Thanks

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@Kevin Costa
Hello there, the reason your notebook is shuttin down is due to overheating. Updating drivers and such will do absolutely nothing for you. Instead you need to find the root cause of the overheat and fix it, typically it's an easy fix and only requires thermal paste and/or thermal pads and a screwdriver.
There are 2 tools that can help you find the cuplrit, 1 is afterburner the 2. is hwinof64. I recommend the latter because it has vast information about all your sensors. You can find some guides on youtube how to use either.
What you need to look for first is the CPU and GPU, check if either run particularly hot. Playing a game for just a minute or two should be enough to give you an idea if either is getting to hot.
If none of these 2 are to hot, check how hot the SSD is (only possible in HWinfo64), if all 3 are within normal temps, the main cuplrit is most likely the VRM's getting to hot and probably lack a thermal pad, if this is the case, then you need to report back.
Once you know which component is to hot, report back, I can guide you what to buy for best bang for the buck and performance in terms of cooling, wheter its thermal paste or thermal pad.
Note that if you use your notebook as a gaming device, repasting it every 6months is a very good idea, as thermal paste usually lose a good chunk of their cooling capabilities around that time.