This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL504GS STRiX Shutting down unexpectedly

Haggisdog
Star I
I have an ASUS GL504GS STRiX laptop. Recently, I noticed some framerate drops in one of my games and after some review noticed that the GPU was hitting its upper limits of its heat thresholds. The laptop has a Nvidia GTX 1070/8GB with two fans. I noticed one of the fans wasn't turning so I purchased another one and replaced it and then re-applied thermal paste on the GPU.
Immediately after doing this the computer has been shutting down unexpectedly after 5-10 minutes playing a game. However, it runs fine doing standard PC operations (browser usage, email, office products).
I've been carefully monitoring heat levels with HWMon and the Asus ROG Gaming Center console, everything looks great and even under load the GPU is hovering around 70C and the GPU around 60C.
Obviously adding the new fan is causing an issue but I can't figure out what might have happened (it's a pretty simple operation), although I did notice the new fan didn't start spinning even though it worked in the other fan power connection, so I chocked this up to the fact that the GPU wasn't under a heavy enough load, so it didn't need the cooling capacity of the second fan.
Also, the machine doesn't appear to be causing a BSOD, it's more like it has put itself into Sleep/Hibernate mode. When it turns off and I turn it back on, everything that was running before the shutdown is still running. This also means there are no dump files that I can see or analyze.
All drivers and Windows updates have been applied.
Could this be a short circuit occurring or some other issue?
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Does anyone know when the second fan on the GPU will operate? I
2 REPLIES 2

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
I would suggest you use MyASUS to do self diagnosis.
If still could not resolve the issue, please contact sevice center to have further inspection.
Thank you.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.