This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get more than 200 Mbps on RP-AX58 in AiMesh mode but ok as Access Points

psychopomp1
Star I

Hi,

I have a XT12 router and have 3 range extender units RP-AX58 plugged into 3 different rooms via ethernet - wifi is too weak to reach the 3 rooms. When using the units as Access Points (APs) then speeds are fine, around 800 Mbps over wifi 6 (my internet connection is 1000/250 Mbps). However when I put them in AiMesh mode then speeds are limited to approx 200 Mbps - this happens in both ethernet backhaul modes ON and OFF in AiMesh settings on XT12. Anyone know what the issue could be? My suspicion is that the wifi channel settings on the range extenders - which cannot be changed in AiMesh mode - is using 20/40 Mhz channel width unlike in Access Point which can be set to 160Mhz.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @psychopomp1 ,

based on your issue, may I ask have you make sure that the RP-AX58 firmware is at the latest version?

The latest firmware is version 3.0.0.4.388.23437 released on 2023/06/15

You can refer to the following link.

RP-AX58|Range Extenders|ASUS Global

May I ask what your wifi channels are when you use the AiMesh feature? 
Have you checked for any interference with the wifi signals? 
Please provide a screenshot. 

Is the speed normal when using a wired connection? Is the speed abnormal only when using a wireless connection?

If you have any issues/ questions/suggestions when using ASUS router, you can submit a feedback form Web GUI (http://www.asusrouter.com).
1.Connect your device to your router and log in to Web GUI(http://www.asusrouter.com)
2.Find “Administration,” and tap “Feedback”
3.Fill in your region, email (required field), ASUS Service No./Case No.(not required),Select the feedback problem and description.You can also write down comments/suggestions. More details might help us to analyze the issue you have encountered in a faster and more efficient way.
4.Read the agreement and click “I agree.”
5.Tap “Send” to submit your feedback.
Then provide the product serial number, the time of submitting the issue report, the email used for filling out the issue report, and the time when the issue occurred via private message.

Thank you.

Hi Aureliannn_Asus

1. Yes, firmware on all RP-AX58 units & XT12 router is up to date

2. I'm using channel 48 on 5ghz-1 band on the XT12 with  channel width set to 20/40/80/160. Changing channels makes no difference to wifi speeds on extenders in AiMesh mode. I don't think there is channel interference in area. 

3. I cannot connect any device by cable to  each RP-AX58U unit since its RJ45 port is already in use (connected by ethernet to main router).there was, i don't

This is a single XT12 setup?  What is the status of SmartConnect?  Are you willing to change channel selection to Auto, then test?  Have you enabled DFS channel use?

I have a single RP-AX58 also Ethernet hardwired, but has always been an AiMesh node, and no ZenWiFi products in the household…

yes single XT12 setup. Smart connect (single SSD?) is off on XT12 as I prefer to split SSDs. Am using manual wifi channel on XT12 however even when I set up áuto'channel it made no difference.