This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX86U Pro Power Supply

MadMacks
Star II

I just purchased a RT-AX86U Pro router and it should be shipped to my location soon, but while I wait I'd like to get clarification on the power supply. The User Manual lists the following...

DC Output +12v with 3A current                 (That's 36 watts)

DC Output 19.5v with 2.31A current                (That's 45 watts)

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean the unit ships with one or the other power supply depending on build differences? Does it mean the router can take either a 12v or a 19.5 power supply depending on what they decide to ship? Or does it mean the power adaptor can put out two different power levels depending on what the router asks for?

I ask because I live off grid and generally use Boost or Buck converters to power devices directly off my battery bank, rather than plugging into inverters. It's extremely inefficient to have a DC battery bank, then invert to 110v AC, then plug in a wall wart inverter to invert back to DC to power a device. All that DC/AC/DC conversion means you loose about 20% of your power just to inverting power back and forth.

So, does the router run off of 12v or 19.5 volts DC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here's the answer in case others would like the information.

I ordered and received, according to the label on the unit, a "Wireless -AX5700 Dual-band Gigabit Router" with a model number RT-AX86U-Pro and a hardware version of 1.0. 

The router label says Power Input of: 12V 3A dc / 19.5V 2.31A dc.

The power supply shows Output 19.5V 2.31A dc 45 watt max. It actually puts out 20.0V dc according to my Fluke Multimeter.

I powered the router using the factory supplied power brick (wall wart) and everything works just fine.

I then used a variable DC output power supply and powered the router with 12.2V DC, and again, the router works just fine. 

So, I am using a DROK Buck Converter that accepts input DC voltages from 6v-32v and outputs 1.5V-32V DC voltages (up to 5A), and have set it to output 12.2V DC 4A. Things run just fine, and as the DROK unit has an LCD I can monitor the Amps it's actually providing.

This saves battery power on my solar battery system as I don't need to run DC battery power to a DC/AC inverter to get the 110v AC, and then use the factory wall wart to invert AC back to DC to power the router. Those conversion typically waste around 5%-8% of the consumed power from the battery for each inversion.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jzchen
Rising Star II

I just checked the Tech Specs page and it does strangely note various possible power supplies.  You’ll probably have to wait and see which version you get to determine what voltage and amperage it runs on…

Uh, what is the point of this reply? Appreciate you took the time, but I already said “the manual says…”, I guess you confirmed I can read? 🤔

Do you own this router? If so, what supply did you get?

You asked these questions:

Does it mean the router can take either a 12v or a 19.5 power supply depending on what they decide to ship? Or does it mean the power adaptor can put out two different power levels depending on what the router asks for?

I have never seen a manufacturer of a product ship out a universal type power supply because it costs more to produce them, and they would waste money when they know what power requirements are for their product.

My answer was intended to clarify that given the specs on ASUS’s webpage I have no idea which DC specs you will get, and you should wait to find out what comes in the box, if for example you need to purchase something to match.

EDIT-  I have the non-pro older version so I don’t think it will help which power supply came with it.

I asked “So, does the router run off of 12v or 19.5 volts DC?”…

Your last response says…
“My answer was intended to clarify that given the specs on ASUS’s webpage I have no idea which DC specs you will get, and you should wait to find out what comes in the box”…

I agree with that…

But, I’m hoping someone that does have this router and knows can share that information…for example…something like this…

I have that router and I received the X (or Y) power supply and the wall wart lists that it puts out X (or Y) volts and amps.

I guess I’m too cranky and have received to many “I don’t know” replies to technical questions that don’t add any information… I apologize if I was less than generous with your reply…