This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Really Need Some Help With My ASUS Router!!!!

JC62710
Star I

I am going to try and be brief, in hopes that someone will take the time to read this and contact me so I can get this sorted. In keeping it short however I will not be able to give all the details and problems that I've been having but this all started last March when I decided to purchase a new router for my home network. I was getting rid of my eero's and felt like ASUS would give me the controllability that I wanted to have. After getting them home and easily setting them up and using the routers for a few days, I thought they were great. After a little while of getting to know the routers and researching what capabilities they had, I tried to set up a VPN. I did this with a new Surfshark account that I purchased and I could set up a VPN easily and it worked momentarily but after a few minutes it slowed to a crawl and made using a VPN useless!!! When I say crawl speeds went from a gig to .5 to 1 mbps. Also my home printer got disconnected from the network and when I tried to reconnect,. The printer no longer recognized my home SSID. My network name no longer appeared in the list of available networks on my printer only!? There were several other things I noticed like not being able to access the router via the router app when I wasn't on the home network even though according to the settings I should've been able to. I called in to customer support and after speaking to the rep she told me that I would need to register my routers in order for me to fix this problem. I had already done that. I told her that I registered these router's as soon as I got home before I even set up the network. She said that my routers were already registered to an enterprise account and not mine. I was stunned by the news because I have no idea what enterprise this could be and she transferred me to a higher tier agent. When I spoke with the higher tier, they acted like there was nothing wrong and verifed that my routers were in deed registered to the account that  I thought they were. She said that she was going to submit my problems to a technician and that I should hear back in a few days with some resolutions to this. Long story short we sent emails back and forth for months and I never got any real answers to why the VPN wasn't working or the WPS. Also I noticed that the routing tables in the tool section didn't reflect what my home network was. On the routing table  there were 3 gateways's listed none of which had the IP address of my home router. Skip ahead to January of this year, I went out and purchased two more routers from Best Buy and I again registered the routers the same account as the previous routers, I figured I got a verbal confirmation on these so it's got to be alright. So every thing seemed normal but a few days after buying the new routers, I went to login to my ASUS account and got an error code stating that the email I typed in doesn't exist. I tried again still got the same response. I tried to contact the same person I was talking to previously, Zandrea, I believe, and couldn't reach her but someone else from her department sent me an email and when I asked what was going on with my account she told me that she would check. She did and after a few days told me that the account that I thought they were registered to never existed!!!  I had both AI Mesh systems registered there as well as the mother board for my home computer. She then told me that those products were registered to another email that I never used to sign up for anything ever. It was a duck.com email and I told her this and asked how I could get the products registered to an account that I set up to ensure that there wasn't anything messed up and she gave me a list of things to do ending with me deleting the account. She acted confidently that I could delete this account on my own without support so I tried. There is a place that you can delete the account on the ASUS Router app but that wouldn't erase the account that had the product registered. So I looked deeper and finally found a page that said that I need to contact ASUS to delete the account and I tried and never got a return call. Just recently I logged back in to the duck.com account and saw that my previous routers and my motherboard are still registered there so I thought ASUS unregistered it for me and I tried to register the routers to my account and could not. I called back in to customer service and the gentleman that I spoke to told me that the router, My router was registered to someone else and wouldn't give me the email address they were registered to. I found that odd because previously they told me that all of my products were registered to the duck.com account but now it's top secret. I asked how to fix this and he told me I needed to send a receipt in to verify purchase and then we could go from there. I got the receipt that I have on file from Best Buy, and I emailed to the gentleman I was speaking to and after not hearing back for a few days I emailed him again asking if he got the receipt and what we were waiting for. He responded a day or two later saying that he did have the receipt and that I needed to make sure that I sent in a receipt with the product number and logo of the company that I purchased them from, and several other specifics no one mentioned earlier. I noticed that my receipt didn't have the Best Buy logo on it, it did say Best Buy and had the address just no logo. I searched and sent in a screen shot of my Best Buy account and still no logo. I sent another email asking what we could do to get my routers registered to the proper owner and I never heard back from them!!! I am at my wits end! I am constantly having problems with my network there are things, problems with other companies my family and I do business with that has cost me literally thousands of dollars. I want to get this resolved, there has got to be a work around because whomever has registered these routers illegally definitely didn't have a receipt with a Best Buy logo on it.

I would love for someone at ASUS to contact me I will email my phone number so we can talk but I really don't want to go out and spend another 400 dollars just to keep doing this over and over again;

2 REPLIES 2

jzchen
Rising Star II

If you want to set the primary router up with DDNS then you can securely access it while away.  I have my router(s) linked to my Google Account.  This seems to work well in allowing access but I have practically zero experience with using VPNs, except for ASUS Instant Guard...

kevinkar
Star III

This wasn't brief and really needs paragraphs.  Very difficult to read in one giant blob.

Sounds like you might want to factory reset your router first and just use it as a router to get comfortable with it instead of setting up a VPN on it.  Instead, use a software VPN on your PC like NordVPN and get comfortable with that too.  THEN try setting up the router with a VPN.

But, if the routers are not working right after following Asus' instructions, an e-mail to Asus support might be way better than this forum.  Maybe use the router's feedback/support link on the Administration tab in the router's control page and follow that.