This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a guest network use wifi 5 please?

BadMonk
Star I

Hey people 😊

Ok so got XD5 with 4 nodes for ai mesh network and works great with my BT full fibre 900 (I am in UK)

little confused as in the Asus router app>network settings at the top of the page there is a slider for  wifi 6 802.11ax mode on/off is this for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz please? No way to separate them?

I don’t use smart connect, I use separate channels but as the option to disable wifi 6 is at the top of the page, does this affect both 5 and 2.4 channels?

If I use the router webpage there is options for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz so a little confused as does the app override this and disable wifi 6 on both?

Reason I ask is every device works fine in my house apart from my Ring Camera (other Ring devices work fine) but I don’t think it supports wifi 6.

If I create a guest network can I force it to just use wifi 5 please? Or is this not possible? Then I could connect my ring camera to this?

also and sorry for all questions, my internet speed is 900mbps down and around 100mbps up, and on 5ghz I get over 900 on Ethernet and around 700 on wifi which is great, but 2.4ghz is terrible, I can’t even get around 20mbps! Any settings I can change in app please?

many thank for any help 😊

5 REPLIES 5

BadMonk
Star I

Anyone got any ideas please?

BadMonk
Star I

Any networking wizards got answers please?

BadMonk
Star I

Anybody out there………….

Hi @BadMonk ,

regarding the issue with WiFi 6 mode, the WiFi 6 switch in the ASUS router app applies to the entire router and does not differentiate between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If you want to configure the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands separately, you can do so through the router's web interface accessed via a browser. Please refer to the FAQ link below.

[Wireless Router] How to do Professional Wireless settings | Official Support | ASUS Global

For situations where smart connect is not used, disabling the WiFi 6 option will affect all bands of the router, including 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

If you want to connect a Ring camera to a client network that only uses WiFi 5, you can advise the user to access the router's web interface via a browser, create a client network that only uses WiFi 5, and then connect the camera to that network. 

You can configure smart connect so that devices automatically connect to the appropriate 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi band. For detailed steps, please refer to the FAQ below.

[Wireless Router] How to configure the Smart Connect in ASUS Router? | Official Support | ROG Global

Regarding the slow speed issue on the 2.4GHz band, there are several factors that could cause your WiFi performance to slow down. 

It could be the WiFi signal, wireless channels, your computer, router performance, or even issues with the network itself. 

Please refer to the troubleshooting steps below for further diagnosis.

[Wireless Router] How to improve Wi-Fi Connection | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thank you.