Netbox
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9 (UK Version) 16GB/256GB
Firmware Version: WW_32.2050.2050.29
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: ALWAYS
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): SCREEN CAST
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Been trying to get the Android 12 "Screen Cast" feature to share my phone's screen but without success.
I've not really tried until today but it seems this feature isn't working.
I am connected to the same WiFi network as other devices and can "see them" to try to cast but am unable to get them to connect.
It just stays in the "connecting" state forever.
Router model Asus DSL-AX82U updated with latest firmware.
I've tried on my Lenovo tablet and other phones in the house and they all work fine but my new ZenFone 9 (Android 12) just won't connect.
My phone is updated with the latest software version (WW_32.2050.2050.29) and is completely stock, none rooted etc.
It seems that it will not connect to any "Google" products on my network.
I've rebooted everything and everything is working fine on my network except this ZenFone 9 will not screen cast.
It seems to be isolated to "Google" products (although I only have one none Google product on my network to cast to).
I have Google Chromecast 4K Ultra (old version), Google TV Chromecast 4K (new version), Google Nest Display, Google Nest Mini (speaker) X 3 and NONE of them will connect
However I CAN screen cast to my Samsung TV which works fine.
So there's obviously something wrong with the Google products and this phone/firmware
As mentioned my other tablets and mobiles in the house all DO screen cast to these Google products.
Any help would be appreciated.
I just updated the firmware this morning to the latest software version (and rebooted) so not sure if that has broken this.
I do know last week (at my work) I COULD screen cast to the Google Nest Mini speaker and that worked ok (Asus RT-AC68U). But now I cannot connect to my home Google Nest Mini speaker. So am wondering if something has happened with this last updated???
Any help would be appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issues as well, even tried re-updating Google Play Services (removing updates; reinstalling) with no luck.
Also using YouTube is finicky. it will connect if prompted, but won't if I select chromecast device manually from phone. Also using the TV code method for YouTube has no issues.

I hardly ever use the screen mirroring feature, but it's really annoying that it doesn't work.

Mansi_ASUS
Hey everyone! 🙂
I heard back from R&D. They mentioned that the problem is related to the Google GMS service. They have recommended the following steps to rectify the issue.
1. Update the Google Play System: Settings > Security & Lock Screen > Google Play System Update > Reboot the machine
2. Update the Google home app to the latest version
3. Update Google tv on TV to the latest version
Please let me know if the issue persists after trying the above process.

Kazionator
Star III
@Mansi_ASUS
Hi,
Two days ago I did the update as per your advice. I will point out that before the update, the phone was showing me a Google Play System Update with a date of October 1, 2022. I did the update, the phone rebooted, but the update itself seemed very short and the date remained the same. So I tried again. This time the phone showed that it needed to download about 50-60mb, I validated this, updated, restarted the phone. The date still stayed the same (I understand this is the latest patch?). Unfortunately today the problem has returned. I could not connect to the 2 google home speakers, to the JBL 9.1 soundbar, nor to the LG TV. Manually forcing google play services to close traditionally helped.

Kazionator
Star III
So after 3 days with Android 13 I think the problem is fixed. Thank you!