Random behavior on recent apps button

mitchconnor
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: no idea
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: often
I'm using the classic navigation with three buttons.
The right button (recent apps) does not work as expected.
1. When I press it repeatedly, I would expect it to always alternate between the last two apps. But often it doesn't. Sometimes it switches to the home screen, sometimes it switches to the third app in the list.
2. When I click the button just once, I would expect it to show me the "minimized" version of the app I'm currently in. But often it goes to the second and sometimes third app.
There seems to be a timing issue (and maybe more issues here). The faster I tap (and I do that naturally because double tap should normally allow me to switch between my last two apps quickly), the more often strange behavior occurs.
For good reference behavior, check the Google Pixel. My previous phones were Pixel 1 and Pixel 3, both of which worked correctly all of the time.
16 REPLIES 16

Ace2099
Star III
@mitchconnor I'm glad somebody reported this, I thought that only I can see this problem.
SW Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Hello @Mansi_ASUS , thank you for reporting this issue. Does the have all the necessary info about this, and is the problem clear? If so, is there any timeline when will this be fixed?
Considering I found in the last hour navigating on the forum, quite the same bugs that I have, reported by the users, It seems that the developer team have some bugs to be fixing, hopefully for the next update.

Mawerick
Star III
Same issue here. IIRC on my ZF6 the button always (on double tap) switched between the last two apps I had opened, but on ZF9 it's more random and may end up on the app I was just in. Single tap shows the app list but it's similarly random and may default on either the app I was in or the app before that.

Like others, I'm also on 32.2040.2040.23

Ace2099
Star III
This issue, is reproduced so often that it really gets annoying, I'm surprised how this passed the testing phase.

mitchconnor
Star II
The behavior is still present in version 32.2050.2050.29.
The changelog said "Fixed navigation buttons issue", so I thought it might be fixed, but it's not.

ACH_
Star III
Same issue as https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/233441#Comment_233441
I've seen that it's mostly resolved with the 2050 patch. But double tapping rapidly does sometimes take me back to the home screen.

I would expect the preview shown on tapping the button to show the previous app though, not the current one. I'm unsure what the normal behaviour is for most Androids, but on the ZF8 and Xperia 1 ii, it would show the previous app.