Proximity sensor issue

Guciu
Star III
Model Name: Asus Zenfone 9 8/128GB
Firmware Version: 30.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time, during a call or in pocket safe mode
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

I noticed that proximity sensor is not working correctly. Is it only my case and I should complain my product?
It is working for maybe 5mm. All my previous phone turned on the screen when distance between phone and my face/ear is longer than couple of centimeters, let's say 5cm. Asus Zenfone 9 makes it longer than 5mm I have the feeling. It is extremely close. I need to really stick phone to my face to avoid turning on the screen.
Most probably issue is the same with pocket safe function. If it is turned on I assume proximity sensor should recognize it is in the pocket and doesn't turn on the screen. However again, screen is turning on and most probably reason is the same. It allows screen to turn on if distance is still very close, couple of milimeters which in jacket i.e. is highly probable.
Please let me know if this is a matter of proximity sensor settings (and I hope it will be fixed) or it is my piece issue and I need to complain.
15 REPLIES 15

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
Guciu
  1. Model Name: Asus Zenfone 9 8/128GB
  2. Firmware Version: 30.2040.2040.23
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: All the time, during a call or in pocket safe mode
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

I noticed that proximity sensor is not working correctly. Is it only my case and I should complain my product?

It is working for maybe 5mm. All my previous phone turned on the screen when distance between phone and my face/ear is longer than couple of centimeters, let's say 5cm. Asus Zenfone 9 makes it longer than 5mm I have the feeling. It is extremely close. I need to really stick phone to my face to avoid turning on the screen.

Most probably issue is the same with pocket safe function. If it is turned on I assume proximity sensor should recognize it is in the pocket and doesn't turn on the screen. However again, screen is turning on and most probably reason is the same. It allows screen to turn on if distance is still very close, couple of milimeters which in jacket i.e. is highly probable.

Please let me know if this is a matter of proximity sensor settings (and I hope it will be fixed) or it is my piece issue and I need to complain.

Proximity sensor issue
The problem has been known exactly for months and they haven't been fixed. Asus are amateurs and their phones are garbage

Guciu
Star III
Moderator? If problem is known and not solved yet, can you forward it to technical team ?

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
Guciu

Moderator? If problem is known and not solved yet, can you forward it to technical team ?

View post
The problem was reported to the technical department in June 2022 with phone logs and a detailed description of the problem. Since then, the tech department hasn't done anything about it despite many reminders from users and the moderator. Take a look at the ZF8 forum, there you will find everything on this bug. They released ZF9 for sale knowing it also had this bug.

Guciu
Star III
@Titan_ASUS @CH_ASUS
Can you please forward the topic to IT team again? Seems it is not solved... 😞

eduardomcp
Star III
I need to second this.
This issue is making me nervous everytime I am on the phone, imagining all the crazy stuff the random touches of my face are doing on the system while I am having a talk.
The thing is, the screen is off, while touches are happening...🤷‍♂️